Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jennyA
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:45 am   

GemStone - Reproducing Wizard FE NPC Highlights

Simutronics provides their own front end called the Wizard. You have the ability to select an option that highlights NPC strings. These strings can vary, so I don't think they have a static list of NPC names that's being referenced when they do this highlight, but I may very well be wrong. I tried checking out the GSL for these, but don't really see anything that stands out. Anyone know if the Wizard is checking a list of NPC strings to highlight or if there's a way to do this with zMud?
jennyA
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:02 am   

And just to give an example of a room with a NPC in it, here's a clip from GemStone where "a mire wolf" is the NPC.
[Town Square, Small Park]
A small, shady park fills an old vacant lot behind a row of buildings, the bustling sounds of the square filtering through the passage to the north to animate the area despite its appearance of peace and serenity. A weatherworn grey marble statue of a stocky human in pioneer's clothing overlooks the park, his stone hat encrusted by the gifts of decades of passing birds and his right hand half-upraised as if it once held some now-missing object. You also see the Skogkatt disk, a mire wolf and a wooden shield.
Anabasis
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:07 pm   

You can do this in zMud with triggers, but it is built in. The game is sending those objects you normally see highlight bracketed by a pair of GSL codes (L and M, if I remember correctly).

All you should have to do though is to make sure you have that option turned on in game, and then select the highlight color you want under View/Preferences/GSL emulation and look under the 'Colors' tab.

Ana
jennyA
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:40 am   

Thanks for the reply Anabasis. I've been using the GSL options (by turning them off) in zMud to try and figure out what the GSL codes are for NPCs, but I don't see any GSL tags surrounding these strings. The "Colors" options on the GSL Emulation menu don't seem to have an NPC option either. Here's a clip from GemStone with GSL Emulation turned off:

GSFP0000000032
GSo
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
GSp
GSH
The dirt path bends around the southwest corner of the landing. Far to the east, you can see a thin blue line that must be the river. GSI
You also see a rolton, a rolton, a rolton skeleton, a green silk ribbon and a heap of splintered timbers and torn hide.
Also here: Great Lord Somebody
Obvious paths: east, northwest
GSjCH
GSq1070935974

In the Wizard, the "a rolton" strings are the only strings that are highlighted. There's actually an option in Wizard to highlight NPC names, so it's somehow able to distinguish them from other parts of the room description. Am I missing something? Thanks again.

-JennyA
Anabasis
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:15 pm   

Hmm... My memory appears to be faulty. I'm not getting the tags either. Lemme do some testing.

However, you should at least be seeing tags around critters though (presuming roltons are critters. I play DR not GS), like so...

You also see a gaping electrical fissure,GSL a black cave owlGSM, some wood, some wood, a pile of rocks, and a firewood bin.

Ana
jennyA
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:45 pm   

No tags that I can see when I turn off the GSL emulation. I wonder if the NPC strings are hardcoded into the Wizard. From there it could highlight the NPC and the associated words surrounding the NPC string distinguishing the associated words by checking for terms that are between two "," strings (middle of the sentence), between "and" and "." (end of sentence), and between "a" or "an" and "," (beginning of sentence).
Ins0mniak
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:51 am   

i know in dragonrealms you have to make sure you have monsterbold set as on. You do this by typing "set monsterbold". I believe it is defaulted to off (set !monsterbold). You check them by typing "set". I'm assuming the same thing exists in gemstone.
jennyA
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:00 am   

That's exactly it Insomniak. When you set that flag to ON, then the GSL codes appear. I totally forgot about all of those options. Thanks for helping the feeble minded.

Insomniak, are you the same Insomniak that had the GemStone scripting site that shut down months ago?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: