Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Selsaral
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:05 am   

tag prompt doesn't work like automap prompt

OK, standard disclaimer: I've read the forums quite a bit, read the help files etc to no avail, so I am posting here. Sorry if this is old hat or the I missed the answer.

I don't think tagging a string as a prompt works nearly as well as the prompt settings in the mapper configuration. The main issue I am having has to do with the mud putting the name of the room on the same line as the prompt when I spam a direction. I read many threads about moving all text off the prompt line etc, but they are extremely complicated, and is uncessary I think because when my prompt matches the prompt char designated in the automapper config, things work perfectly. But my prompt changes regularly (the first char of my prompt describes the type of light source), and when it is set for something different, the mapper begins thinking the prompt is part of the name. When I tag the different character as a prompt it still fails to work. It ignores the entire line in this case. The help files for tag prompt specifically say it considers the entire line a prompt, which is exactly what is happening. However like I said, if you set the prompt char in the automapper config it correctly pulls the name off the line with the prompt.

As far as I can tell, the only way to set the char prompt in the mapper config is to manually go into the settings and change it. Otherwise I could build a trigger to detect the new prompt char and assign it.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Selsaral
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:42 am   

I think I see a way. I could use the #config command to chang entire config settings (which presumably includes the prompt char). Anyone know of a more elegant way?
Selsaral
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:20 pm   

For confirmation, this does indeed work (the #config command swaps the entire config file which includes the prompt char). Still looking for a more elegant solution however.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:07 am   

If the room name is on the prompt line, what you need to add is a tag for the room name. For example, if the line looks like this:

[Room Name] >

Then you might create a trigger like this:

#TRIGGER {^~[(*)~] >} {#TAG RoomName {%1};#TAG Prompt}

to tag the line as both a prompt and room name.
Selsaral
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:43 am   

Thanks for the help, Zugg. I must be using #tag wrong because this still doesn't work. Example of output:

*#>e
e
Main Road
There is an old street-lamp on the border of the street.
Isilreil the Silvan is standing here.
Exits: north, east, south, west.

*#>Main Road
There is an old street-lamp on the border of the street.
Exits: east, south, west.

when I do #trig {^~*~#*>(*)} {#tag RoomName (%1);#tag prompt}, it thinks 'There is an old street-lamp on the border of the street.' is the room name of the second room (just like before, #tag prompt always seems to gobble up the entire line). I'll try to play with it some more.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:01 am   

Didn't you tell it to use the whole line as the prompt?

Following the multiple-tag example in the #TAG help, you should have something like this.
#TR {^(~*~#*>)(*)} {#TAG prompt,name {%1} {%2}}
Selsaral
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:16 pm   

Yeah I am clearly missing something ;-)

I will try it again when I get home tonight. Thanks for the idea Lightbulb.
Selsaral
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:13 pm   

Well I played with this some more and utterly failed to make it work. My track record is pretty sad however, so I can only assume it works but I am somehow doing it wrong. Even when u I use tag to grab multiple fields, it ignores the whole line. The test page shows it recognizing the string, and successfully applying the arguments to the variables.

But using #config to swap files works perfectly. Since I only have 3 possible prompt chars (* for sunlight, ! for artificial, and o for dark), I only need to swap three files. Furthermore, I am turning the trigger off the second it hits, and activating the others, so it isn't sparking a hundred times a minute. This seems to work great. Thought I'd mention it for any lurkers or to provoke more discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: