Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Articnal
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:37 am   

Not doing twice the work

Hi,i need to get some triggers which can start with nothing before,or with the prompt before.

Untill now,im getting 2 same triggers,one with ^,and another with ^prompt before of them.

I think the command im searching for must be something like [^|^prompt] but this one works even if no ^ or ^prompt is there... any idea? [xx(]
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:44 am   

It seems a little strange to want to trigger off of 'nothing' .. perhaps if you actually tell us what you want to do somebody might be able to figure a better/different method of doing it

Arcane
Articnal
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:53 am   

Sorry for my english;
What i tryed to mean is,for example,my objetcive trigger is... {You are hungry}

Then,it can appear as:
<my prompt> You are hungry
or
You are hungry

and i want to trigger on bough,with just 1 trigger.

Hope this is more understandable now :|

Thx for ur help,Articnal.
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:01 am   

Thanks for clearing that up ;-)

The only way I can think of doing it with one trigger is to enable both the newline and prompt checkboxes on the options tab of the trigger, as the mud I play doesn't use a prompt I can not be sure that this will work though.

Arcane
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:25 pm   

#TR {You are hungry} {eat}

If you anchor at the beginning of the line, you will need a second trigger for the times when the pattern is on the same line as the prompt. Sorry, there is no way around it.
Articnal
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:35 pm   

ok the problem is that that way anyone can force you to eat just by telling you once and again 'You are hungry'
simson
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:01 pm   

Wouldn't it work if you anchor the end of the string instead? I think $ is used for that.
You are hungry$
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:12 pm   

Let me rephrase. Apparently I wasn't clear enough

1. If you want to have a SINGLE trigger which will fire when the trigger phrase is at the beginning of the line OR immediately follows the prompt, don't use ^. Yes, this may leave you susceptible to trigger abuse, but it will do what you asked.

2. If you want to have triggers which will ONLY fire when the trigger phrase is at the beginning of the line OR immediately follows the prompt, use two triggers.

3. If you want to have ONE trigger which will ONLY fire when the trigger phrase is at the beginning of the line or immediately follows the prompt, you will have to design some complicated #IF tests to determine whether those conditions exist or not. It can't be done with the pattern.

4. I can't decide for you what is more important. I can only tell you that you have to choose. As I said, "Sorry, there is no way around it".

As simpson says, anchoring at the end may prove helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: