Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:22 pm   

Mapper problems

I'm having a few problems with the mapper.

First I have a #sub line to put all the exits together in a unqiue line. The exit line starts with [-EXITS-]. I put [-EXITS-] in the map configuration setting for exit keyword and I have exit line contains keyword checked along with exit line exits after keyword checked. This works very well most of the time, but every now and then a room description will have a direction word in it and this will throw the mapper off.

An example is:

Damp Cave
A large cave deep underground. Water trickles down the walls, collecting in a large, churning pool. The air is extremely warm and thick with humidity. A small tunnel leads east and someone appears to have set up a doorframe here for no apparent reason. It is blindingly bright here.
[-EXITS-] west, and a closed wooden door leading doorway.

Notice the word down in the description, this causes zmud to create a down exit. why is it creating this exit when it should not even look for exits until after it seeds the keyword.

Secondly, I'm having troublw with mud prompts. Sometimes my mud will send:

Damp Cave
A large cave deep underground. Water trickles down the walls, collecting in a large, churning pool. The air is extremely warm and thick with humidity. A small tunnel leads east and someone appears to have set up a doorframe here for no apparent reason. It is blindingly bright here.
[-EXITS-] down, west, and a closed wooden door leading doorway.
...for the room

Othertimes you might see:

> > Damp Cave

with 1 or more ">" prompts before the room description. This causes zmud to think its a new room. I know the mapper works off the promp, is there any way to get around this?
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:50 pm   

related question

How can I set up a tag for my exit line
that looks like:

Would I just do

#TR {[-EXITS-]} {#TAG EXIT}
or do I need to capture each of the exits like down,west...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:30 am   

Are you sure the extra prompts are causing a problem? The MUD prompt doesn't create a room unless zMUD has received the room name, description, and exit info it is configured for.

One the first issue, after creating your #SUB command, be sure to *re-run* the Auto Config wizard for the mapper. If you don't reconfigure it, then it's going to ignore your #SUB info, even if you manually put [-EXITS-] in the Exit keyword field.

Finally, you shouldn't need the #TAG command. The Exit keyword field acts as an internal "tag" for the mapper telling it what line to look for exits. If this is probably configured, it shouldn't look in the room description at all.

But to answer you question if you really wanted to make a #TAG trigger, the correct trigger would be:

#TR {~[-EXITS~] (%*)} {#TAG Exit {%1}}
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:22 pm   

Does the mapper get thrown off if it recieves mud prompts after the direction key is pressed and before the room name is loaded?

I'll try playing with it more tonight, although I did reconfigure it many times last night. Half the time the reconfigure wizard does not even pick up the room name.

Also something to note, the prompts I get are actually a > followed by a single space. I wonder if that space is being piced up as the room name.

I also tried doing a number of other things including using the following #tr {~> } {#SUB ~>%CR}.

I even tried removing the prompts using a #sub {}, this resulted in zmud freezing up on me. Guess it never stopped looking for the room.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:13 pm   

Nope, a space will never be taken as a room name. zMUD ignores spaces before and after a room name, and ignore some other punctuation as well. Getting prompts before the room name shouldn't make any difference.
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:04 am   

ok, I'm slowly trying to track this problem down.

I found so far that things work a lot better when I disable my class with all my overrides for directions. So I think the mapper is having trouble when you override the direction keys.

Secondly, I'm getting some problems still with zmud creating a room on top of a room when the rooms are identical. So far this is what I am seeing.

When you create room 1 by walking into going w, room 1 have 3 exits, east,north,west.

Then you walk north to room 2, then sw to room 3, then from room 3 you walk east to go back to room 1. At this point "sometimes" it creates a new room on top of room 1. I know saying sometimes does not help a lot. But what I noticed is if I look at the properties on the map for room 1 and the newly created room X that it put on top of room 1. The room X description and room name and everything displaces the information for the wrong room. it shows the information for the previous room I was in instead. Oddly, If I leave the property window open for a minute or two, the room name and description and stuff suddenly changes to the correct information.

Anyway I will try to track this down more.
Just want to start posting what I found so far in case anybody else has similar issues.

Also note that I have the most recent version of zmapper installed, I wonder if that is causing compatabilities issues. Although the map I am using has never been opened with the new version of zmapper.
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:11 am   

The way I eliminated my map from creating a room on top of a room is put a #MERGE in your onroomenter trigger/alias (I forget whether its a trigger or alias and Im not at my zmud) but then It auto merges everytime you enter a room, I havta to do this because my room descriptions can change dramaticly for the same room so it thinks its a new room, The only issue I ever get with this is SOMETIMES it can take it a second to merge the rooms if they even need merging because of the size of my map, Its a working solution tho.
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:41 am   

I don't want it to automerge.

It should recognize it as the same room since the room name, description, exits are all the same.
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:33 am   

Sometimes, as per my experience, Its impossible for it to always recognize it as the same room, hence why I use the #MERGE, it happens very little, but it is better than having to stop, go in and right click on the room and merge it thru the speed menu.
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:43 am   

I understand you use fits well for your mud. The problem I have is that on my mud, I may be moving into a position that overlaps another room and in some cases it IS a different room. This is because this area of my mud deals with caves, and as you walk in a direction like north or south, you may also be slowly moving up or down. The only way to know for sure if I'm in the same room is if the room descriptions match. (although this also is not 100% garentee, its pretty accurate)

Therefor I am heavily reliying on the mapper to distinguish room differances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: