Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:42 pm   

Mapper suggestion

Ok Zugg,

You mentioned you have not been getting a lot of new suggestions so here is one. And I know it is definitally not an easy one.

I think it would be good to add a new mode to the mapper similar to the follow mode. Not sure what to call it, but when in this mode, zmud would prevent you from moving in a direction that does not exist on the map. If a unexplored exit exist, you would have to switch to map or follow mode to move in that direction. Otherwise in this mode, if you typed North when the mapper does not show a north, zmud will NOT send north to the mud and will not move the location on the map.

You may wonder why I would want this. I use follow mode a lot in my mud and spam through complex caves. These cave systems have many exits and only some of them I have explored. Every once in a while I accidentally hit a wrong direction and end up in a very dangerious place that I have never explored, or end up getting lost because the follow me cannot follow me through rooms that do not exist on my map. Both cases could mean death for my character.

To comment on the lack of recent suggestion. I think zmud has grown so well that it may have just about everything a mudder needs. The main areas of inprovement that I still see are in the area of the mapper engine in zmud, zmud database which I would love to see converted to access, manly because I know how to work in a access database fairly easily, and in the zmapper product.

I could spit out a whole mess of suggestions related to the mapper and zmapper, but I don't want to overwelm you, I'll wait on most of them till zmapper is a bit further along.
Interitus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:01 pm   

Talahaski, I think it can be solved without bothering Zugg, by creating aliases for direction commands/macros. :-)
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:08 pm   

Even if you spam a set of like 10 directions. how would you be able to keep track of where you are on the mud, where the mapper is, and what allowable directions exist. You would almost have to building something to prevent spamming of directions to make sure your position is updated on the map before checking for the next direction.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:04 pm   

I did actually build all that once, it is relatively easy to create a walk ahaead check without creating an entire walking queue.

#CLASS WalkAheadTest
#NOOP %roommode(1)
#VAR AheadRoom {%mapvnum()}
#NOOP %roommode(0)
#VAR DirConversion {}
#ADDKEY DirConversion {n=n|s=s|w=w|e=e|u=u|d=d|nw=h|ne=j|sw=k|se=l}
#VAR ValidMove {0}
#ALIAS WalkAhead {#NOOP %roommode(1);#IF (%roomlink(@AheadRoom,%db(@DirConversion,%1))>-1) {ValidMove=1;AheadRoom=%roomlink(@AheadRoom,%db(@DirConversion,%1))} {#ECHO Invalid movement};#NOOP %roommode(0)}
#CLASS 0

That is written off the top of my head (read as: might not be perfect). You will have to update your macros to take advantage of it. Example usage would be:
WalkAhead n
#IF (@ValidMove) {n;ValidMove=0}
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: