Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Aekisu
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:47 am   

Mapper redrawing rooms

The mapper is working fine (usually finding the correct exits, & etc.) but it keeps redrawing the rooms, when I reenter them. It doesn't happen everytime and there seems to be no logical reason for the problem.

As a side note, my char location on the map will always update as I move in the edit mode but while in the follow mode, sometimes the char location will not be updated.

I'm getting tired of using the 'merged stacked rooms' and 'set current location' menus. Is there an option I can set in the mapper that will help these problems?
Interitus
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:27 am   

It's hard to find solution without even knowing what causes mapper to do such a things. I would advice you just walking in follow mode when you don't need to create new rooms.
quote:
As a side note, my char location on the map will always update as I move in the edit mode but while in the follow mode, sometimes the char location will not be updated.

You can go to Map properties -> Speedwalking and set speedwalking mode to FAST.
StackAdder
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:07 am   

Except of course that leaves him not in the right room because it isn't updating...

Does your mud have weather reports or is it possibly traceable to chats or tells happening? On the mud I play I also have to handle stance messages, and notifications of the end of spell effects (well, I think I have to - I do it to be sure anyway)

If you systematically work through all these exterraneous outputs from the mud (as far as mapping is concerned) and trigger them to #nomap, I find you get much better mapping performance (as in it works better - I haven't noticed any great change in speed)
Aekisu
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:14 pm   

Well, it's hard to tell what message (assuming it is a message) might be giving the problem. There's daytime, weather, multiple chat channels, & rats, just to mention a few. With approximately 200-300 people online at a time, the screen is always scrolling. Heck, it's even hard to find a spot where I can read the docs in peace.

I'll start paying attention and see if #nomap will help.

Anyone else have a suggestion?
Interitus
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:02 pm   

I had the same problems in one mud (Achaea), because it often inserted unwanted spam into movement output. So I wrote triggers to gather and tag everything for mapper manually, and stopped zMUD from parsing text for mapper.
Aekisu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:51 am   

Interitus, would you PLEASE post those triggers. It's Achaea I'm have the problem with.
Interitus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:58 pm   

Damn, I found some errors in my triggerset. Please give me a day or two to fix them.
Interitus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:03 pm   

Aekisu, maybe you should read http://www.zuggsoft.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13222, the part that explains tested/not tested exits. We can just mark all exits as tested to prevent extra rooms creation.
Aekisu
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:21 am   

Thanks Interitus and I'm looking forward to the triggerset
Backu
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:52 am   

A way to check to see if it's spam causing some of these problems (I've resorted to mapping with everything turned off as far as channels and other messages go), is to actually look at the room "name". When you click a room on the map (in follow mode), the botton of the window shows you what it's going to trigger on for the room, and if it's not like the first line of the muds description of the room, it will never work.... weather reports.. good luck.
Ziah
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:06 pm   

Interitus wrote:
Aekisu, maybe you should read http://www.zuggsoft.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13222, the part that explains tested/not tested exits. We can just mark all exits as tested to prevent extra rooms creation.

this link's broken :(
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:30 pm   

I have some excellent triggers and a config file for doing automapping in Achaea. In fact, you can even download my map database and start from there. Just don't ask me how to set it all up because I'm retired for now. I recommend asking questions on the Official Achaea Forums.

http://larkin.dischai.googlepages.com/achaea
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: