Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mj_cole
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:46 pm   

Limit on map size (Mb)

I was wondering if there is a limit on the size of a map, my current map is over 20Mb, and only covers 1/3 of the rooms in the mud.

Also I have noticed that there is significant times involved in walking accross zone boundrys, is related to a large map, or the current zmud mapping bug?

Regards
Marts
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:54 pm   

There should be no limit on map size, only as high as your computer and Jet can handle.

As for the delays in walking across zones, keep in mind that zMUD has to load all rooms from the zone you just walked into which were not visible before. See if when the new version is released it is still really slow. If it is, then post about it so that you may compare your times with others and see if maybe there is a bug or not.
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:18 pm   

It was my understanding that the access database does have a size limitation, but that it is rather huge. I think the limit is on the number of records not the actual size, somewhere around 10 million records or something huge like that. I work in Access at work sometimes and I know I have hit size limits to how much data I can import into a Access database. Perhaps this is a software limit to Access itself and not a database limit on ADO.

Anyway, this is a bit off-track since at 20 MB you cannot even be close to this limit, if it even exist undet the method zugg is using. Perhaps at 200mb+ it may be possible.
mj_cole
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:37 pm   

Thanks guys :)
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:38 am   

It's 1 gigabyte of data per table, to a maximum database size of 2 gigabytes. I don't think anyone's map will get that big... but hey you never know eh? :)
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:30 pm   

We hope not, but it it does let me know what mud your playing. I'd like to see a world that big!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: