Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Treetall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:46 am   

crashes and more crashes, unusable

can anybody tell me what i need to do to get this zmud to not crash. i have windows xp and i can run the old 3.62 that is free, even tho the paths dont work on the old version i have to use, but at least it dont crash. i bought zmud 6.62 about a week ago and it is guaranteed to crash in about 30 or 40 pushes of the direction buttons, which takes all of about 10 seconds. i have emailed zugg until i hate to bother him anymore. he says its my network card but i have tried 3 different ones and they all have the same result, crash. i think it would be easier for someone to tell me what network card is compatible than for me to keep going and buying new ones, cheaper too. heh. any help would be appreciated. sure wish i could get this thing to work.
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:31 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Treetall
he says its my network card but i have tried 3 different ones and they all have the same result, crash. i think it would be easier for someone to tell me what network card is compatible than for me to keep going and buying new ones, cheaper too. heh. any help would be appreciated. sure wish i could get this thing to work.

I don't know what you've discussed with Zugg, but have you checked to make sure that the drivers are current for your card? Out-of-date drivers have been found to be responsible for a number of obscure crashes.

Your setup is network card->DSL/cable modem? What are the cards you've tried?

Is it only the direction buttons, or any time you rapidly send input (set up a generic macro and hit that a lot to see if you get the same result, and try just a big series of sends from the command line)?

-Tarn
Treetall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:25 am   

i have tried intel,3com,and dlink network cards with the same result on all 3. i have updated all of the updates that i have been able to find, about25 in all. the only updates that i have not installed are the ones that just fail to install for whatever reason, and those i have tried no less than 10 times each. it does not have to be lots of rapid sends to the mud tho, thats just how i see does it work now or not. i just update or upgrade or change the network card or try a driver up date, then i log on and hit the direction button about 30 or 40 time and it always crashes. but it has crashed before when i just typed one command. i found a zmud 4.62 last night and i have been playing with it all day without one single crash. but it was free, wish i had found it earlier. hehe. thanks tho if you know anything else i can try.
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:59 am   

Perhaps it's your installation of windows itself. You said that you cant install some updates? Have you got SP1 for XP? What updates are failing?

I'm reluctant to focus just on the network card, as it'd be affecting more than just 6.62 zmud. Do other programs fail too?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:52 am   

In general the reason the network card causes trouble mudding with some XP systems is because there is a flood of small packets. It is like hitting yourself with a DOS attack. This is corrected in up to date drivers for almost all cards, but wasn't at the time XP was released. If you are using the default XP drivers for your card I would reccommend checking for updated drivers. Both Intel's and 3Com's site are well organized to help and always very up to date. I do not know DLink so I can not say there.

A good test to find out if the problem is related to display/processor/memory is hit ESC at the Character Database screen. Then press CTRL-Q, this causes 1000 lines of text to displayed. You can do this repeatedly, memory usage should go up until the scrollback buffer is full then hold steady.

Another cause of crashes is scripting errors and undetected trigger loops. To test this connect then click the "gun" icon on the bottom right of the character window, then walk around some.

I suspect Zugg walked you through these tests in email communications already before stating the problem arises from the network card. So I would say if you can't find the right update or another cause for the crashes, post the exact model for the various NIC's you have and what updates you have found. Perhaps there is something that was overlooked or hidden on one of the manufacturer's web sites.
Treetall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:56 am   

these are the updates that i cant get to install. i have tried them all individually too. thanks for replying.

No Updates Were Installed

The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

810565: Critical Update
820291: Recommended Update (Windows XP)
814995: Recommended Update
Q322011: Recommended Update
327979: Recommended Update
Q810243 Update: Watch television shows recorded by Media Center PCs on other Microsoft Windows XP PCs
Q282010: Recommended Update for Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) - Windows XP
Windows Error Reporting: Recommended Update (Windows XP)

View installation history
Rehcra
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:02 am   

These are all XP updates from Microsoft Windows.

None of these are driver updates. Nothing you installed from the Windows site will get you the latest drivers for your network card.

You have to goto the site for the network card you are using and download thier latest driver.

3Com: http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/downloadsindex.jsp
Intel: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Support_Intel.asp
DLink: http://support.dlink.com/downloads/

There is no one-stop-shop for every driver. It is always best to goto the source.
Treetall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:56 am   

someone asked which updates i could not install and thats why i gave the windows update list, those are the ones i could not install.

this is what it tells me when i go to the dlink site to get the driver updates for my card. still appreciate the replies tho.

Windows XP has built-in drivers for the DFE-530TX+.

Once installed, Windows XP will find the new hardware and install the drivers automatically.

However, D-Link has provided the Windows XP drivers for you to download:
Driver Version Revision Info Date
Download 5397 1/28/2002
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: