I need to have a trigger that executes the following (simplified, of course):

emote picks his nose.
#wa 1000
emote wipes it on his shirt.
#wa 1000
emote is clearly a filthy person.
#wa 1000
grin

Having read the warnings about using #WAIT, I tried changing it to #ALARM commands with the following:

#ALARM +1 {emote picks his nose.}
#ALARM +1 {emote wipes it on his shirt.}
#ALARM +1 {emote is clearly a filthy person.}
#ALARM +1 {grin}

However, #ALARM didn't execute the socials in an orderly fashion... it just counted to 1 and fired them all off in random order.

So, I tried this:

#ALARM +1 {emote picks his nose;#ALARM +1 {emote wipes it on his shirt;#ALARM +1 {emote is clearly a filthy person;#ALARM +1 {grim}}}}

Now... is nesting #ALARM commands seriously the only way to insert pauses into our triggers and aliases? Even in this simple example, that's a gawdawful messy solution.

Despite the fact that it totally and utterly freezes up Zmud for the duration of the pause, I think I'll have to keep using #WAIT.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:39 pm   

#ALARM +1 {emote picks his nose.}
#ALARM +2 {emote wipes it on his shirt.}
#ALARM +3 {emote is clearly a filthy person.}
#ALARM +4 {grin}
sp000n
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:44 pm   

Heh... I guess that'll have to do. Thank, V.
sp000n
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:25 pm   

Just as a follow-up, the #ALARM command is really working a lot better in my triggers! It's fantastic not having Zmud freeze up during my #WAIT intervals. It's a little bit difficult going back through my scripts and working #ALARM into its place, but so far, so good :o)

Thanks again.
andrul
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:28 am   

Uhmm. Some folks are having freezes while executing #wait?
I've used wait in macros many times and never encountered that. Was it with certain versions of zmud?
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:39 am   

WAIT

Syntax: #WA [time]

Delays processing of further commands on the line until text is received from the MUD. Sometimes commands from zMUD can be executed too fast for the MUD. This command is used to slow them down.
If the time parameter is specified, the processing of further commands on the line is delayed the amount of time specified. Time is in units of milliseconds - e.g. 1000 is 1 second. Note that the commands remaining on the line are queued up for this time. You can still enter other commands on the command line while waiting.

NOTE: The WAIT command can cause processing of any other active WAIT command to halt. Do not use nested WAIT commands. Do not use the WAIT command in a trigger if the same trigger might fire again before the WAIT is complete. In general, you should try to use the #ALARM command instead of using #WAIT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: