Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Amok
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:41 pm   

Trigger won't work

This is my trigger but when I die it doesn't add to the death count anyone know why? I was wondering if the ' ' was throwing it off

#Trigger {^Death says 'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime'$} {#Add DeathCount 1}

Thanks
Maximus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:51 pm   

Try putting ~ in front of the single quotes so it matches them literally instead of trying to interpret them. ~' should tell it you're looking for the single quote characters, not trying to do something else.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:43 pm   

Single quotes aren't usually included in special characters, so they aren't likely to be the problem. You probably don't quite match the line, and since you put anchors at both ends of your pattern you have to have an exact match. That includes punctuation, leading/trailing spaces, etc.

My guess? You probably left off a period or exclamation point.
Amok
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:12 pm   

..Everything begins to fade to black.

Before you hovers a woman of breathtaking beauty. Her pale skin and ebon
hair stand out against the blue heavens that call to you. She places her
hands on her hips and smirks.

You feel a strange pulling sensation as strange and colorful mists swirl
around you...

Death says 'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime'

That is what the mud says when I die
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:47 am   

I your post is an exact copyfrom the mud output then as Lightbulb said you missed trailing spaces.

Code:

#Trigger {^Death says 'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime'  $} {#Add DeathCount 1}
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:00 am   

I don't know why your particular trigger doesn't work, I just make educated guesses. Here's several ideas for you to try. Note that you are the only one who can actually find out which of these work in your particular situation.

Remove the anchors. If you have leading or trailing spaces missing from the pattern, that will fix it.
#Trigger {^Death says 'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime'} {#Add DeathCount 1}
#Trigger {Death says 'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime'$} {#Add DeathCount 1}
#Trigger {Death says 'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime'} {#Add DeathCount 1}

Try a pattern which doesn't include single quotes.
#Trigger {You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime} {#Add DeathCount 1}
#Trigger {..Everything begins to fade to black.} {#Add DeathCount 1}

Try putting ~ in front of the single quotes. (Maximus already suggested this, I hoped you tried it?)
#Trigger {^Death says ~'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime~'$} {#Add DeathCount 1}

Try changing the options on your trigger to PROMPT instead of NEWLINE. The final line might be a prompt-type output that waits for you to hit ENTER before proceeding.
#Trigger {^Death says 'You lived what anybody gets, you got a lifetime'} {#Add DeathCount 1} {} {nocr|prompt}

I don't know if any of these will work. If any of them do, it would be nice if you came back and said so (in case someone else has a similar problem). Feel free to combine possibilities as well as trying each one separately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: