Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
hideo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:18 pm   

zmud mapper new guy, using achaea

hey, this client seems super neat, but i am having real trouble getting the mapper included with zmud.

Am i right in assuming this is not the same as the zmapper, it looked like there was another completely different package specifically for maps, i just want to use the one included with zmud

as the subject sugguests, i haven't used muds much haven't used zmud much, am playing achaea.

what i basically want it to do is record the rooms i go to and keep track of where i'm standing.

It did seem to do this for a while, but now i have the following problems:

a)it couldn't keep track of in/out entrances which took me a while to set up manually (can i set it up to recognise in/out exits?)

b)it has now stopped following me properly (i'm going to try re-installing for this one, as it's just not acting at all like it used to, this all started after i made a few in/out exits badly

c)it was not capturing room descriptions properly as the mud did not do a full 'look' when it came to a new room but rather a 'quick look' which only shows room name, contents and exit. this doesn't seem major but i think it was causing it to incorrectly match rooms (creating that stack thing) when i was walking around in a small area.

there is one other thing, d) where i want to make some sort of trigger that recognises when i use the 'portal' command which places the map at the portal room (it's always the same place) but this is a bit involved and i'd be happy if i just got the others working

sorry if this is a little too noobish, i probably haven't read as much as i should, but i looked through the faq and the tutorials and none of them really mentioned anything about mapping :( thankyou to anyone who can help
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:26 pm   

a) Can't help you there

b) Funny things about Achaea. First there i weather..so lots of times if that changes you won't get the mapper to follow right. Two, the end of each room name ends with a space after the . except if it contains (road) after it.

c)In the mud, typre verbose, this will get full descriptions every time. Even then i had problems with detecting descriptions.

d) Don't think this is possible really since you can PORTAL from any spot.

For more help with mapping Achaea, search the forum boards for Achaea mapper. There are lots of posts on it because of the difficulty it is to do.
hideo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:05 pm   

this is quite odd.

the configuration wizard picks out the correct room name with its highlighting every time, i've tried it on every combination of moving between a road/nonroad to a road/nonroad however in the actual map window, it sets the name to whatever was in the line just before the exits.

another interesting thing i noticed was that the exit line was not always passed. it's not a new line for exits, so if the description had "south" in it, then the parser would pick it up. so i got one detecting

see the road further south. You see exits leading north, southeast, south, and west.
highlighting from the first south till the end.

i think the mapper should be able to parse achaea's system, it's proper title case for the room name, on the first line ended with a period (always on it's own line too) the (road) at the end could be included or ignored based on whether it's stopping at the line break or stopping at the period. the exit is not on it's own line, but is always starting after a period, prefixed with "You see exits leading " and then comma separated values ending with a .

this doesn't look dificult to parse, but i can't for the life of me find where the mapper sets it's parsing rules Sad

also on the weird thing, i may have found a bug in the mapper to do with deleting large chunks of a map improperly and leaving a database locked or something, i'll do a bug report if i can get it to reproduce
hideo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:40 pm   

ok so i've gotten the automapper to do a reasonable job, it's picked up all the right names and all the right exits for a while now.

my current problems are:

a) map does not follow my path properly (i imagine because the location description changes each time) the place names are matching up so what i need is a setting somewhere where i can tell it not to check the destinations description when it moves there, just the name.

b) when there are people moving about and things happening the automapper frequently picks up an incorect line as the name of the room. i notice that the name of the room is allready color coded, is that done by zmud automatically or is it sent by the server? if it is, then is there a way i can instruct the mapper to match up the specific color they've used for room names with their parsing? because that would be the easiest way
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:29 am   

Look through the help files, in the section Advanced Mapping, and those leading up to it like Manual Mapper Config. They are highly detailed. Also look at the #TAG and #NOMAP commands, you should references to them in the mapper pages I mentioned. These pages also describe all the items in the mapper config, and the hows/whys they work and don't work. Defnitely worth reading.
hideo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:46 am   

ok read a heap more help's and you're right, they do tell me the things i need to know. but i still cant do what i want Sad

am i starting to high by doing map stuff first? i kind of want to fix it because it's the most important to me. I've got the mapper working almost perfectly in game now, it only has trouble with exit lines containing the string "(open door)" and the special exits achaea has ("in" and "out")

I'm sure both of these can be fixed via scripts somehow. it looks to me like i can use #TAG somehow to get the exit lines, parse them myself, and put the exits into the room properly. i've got a number of small questions on how to do this.

a) to fix the (open door) problem should be simple, i just have to intercept the line before the mapper gets it, and suppress the text the question is: does #NOMAP have the ability to supress just strings, or only whole lines?

b) does the scripting agent see colour tags? can i look for them so i can separate the rooms description from it's content?

c) biggish question... after the mapper has parsed exits, it seems to get all the regular exits (snewud) but not in and out. what i've been doing is manually creating links (using "other") to a new room one way in each room. to automate that procedure i need probably a script that runs when new rooms are created on the automapper, looks at the lines the mapper found for the exit, checks for the strings "in" and "out" then can add a one way link to a new room in the direction "other".

hmm probably should break that up. real questions are:

what command do i need to look at the lines tagged by the mapper as exits?

how do i attach that search to a trigger and attach the search to a trigger that goes off when a new room is made in the mapper?

If you are getting sick of me asking then i'd love to be referred to some tutorials or an irc-style chat where i can pester someone who loves teaching this stuff :)

--update--
woo this is fun, i just set up a successful trigger to improve the maps following :)
#TRIGGER {^You are recovering equilibrium and cannot move yet.} {#NODIR}

it's simple, but boy did it take me a while to figure it out
[:p]

--edit--
oh i think i might have the portal thing worked out. it looks like the #recall command does pretty much this. does the #recall command send any commands to the mud? or just move the map position? if it doesn't send commands i can just use it as part of an alias, if it does, how can i change those commands?
--edit--
oh that was EASY #alias pt {portals;#te 22 "Portals"} works like a charm in follow mode :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: