Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kord

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:02 am   

Long Speedwalks = Spontaneous reboot

Any time I enter a speedwalk over a certain length - or a number of stacked commands over a certain length, for that matter - Zmud spontaneously reboots my computer.

Entirely, reboots, gives me a flash of a blue screen too fast for me to look at, and restarts.

Anyone have any experience with this, or any ideas what it might be?

I'm running an AMD AthlonXP 1800 with 512 megs of PC2100 DDR ram, Windows XP Professional, and Zmud 6.62 - this has happened on previous versions of Zmud (5.55 particularly).

-Ryan

"A plan is just a list of things that don't happen."

--Parker, _Way of the Gun_
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:56 pm   

Try looking for newer drivers to your network card and upgrading them. See if that fixes it.

Kjata
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:34 am   

quote:

Any time I enter a speedwalk over a certain length - or a number of stacked commands over a certain length, for that matter - Zmud spontaneously reboots my computer.

Entirely, reboots, gives me a flash of a blue screen too fast for me to look at, and restarts.

Anyone have any experience with this, or any ideas what it might be?

I'm running an AMD AthlonXP 1800 with 512 megs of PC2100 DDR ram, Windows XP Professional, and Zmud 6.62 - this has happened on previous versions of Zmud (5.55 particularly).

-Ryan

The spontaneous reboot is a feature of Windows XP (probably some other Windows OSes, too). I forget exactly how to change it, but it can be changed so that your computer just sits there when the BSD (blue screen of death) appears.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
kord

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:31 am   

I've got the newest catalyst drivers for my radeon 8500. Still no dice. This has happened with both of my radeon cards actually, my 7000 with newest catalysts and my 8500.

------

Thanks, Matt. I will give that a look. But even if I can keep it from rebooting from the BSOD, it's still crashing, and that's bad. Any idea how I can fix this problem with Zmud? I play on a MUD with a gigantic map, and having to cut my speedwalks into chunks is really a problem.

-Ryan

Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:08 pm   

No, look for the newest drivers for your network card, not your video card.

Kjata
fyrie
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:47 am   

IIRC WinXP, by design, reboots if a program has a catastrophic failure. I have seen this happen with buggy drivers and/or hardware overclocked too far.

fyrie

"You may be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later, you dance with the reaper!" - Grim Reaper
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:51 am   

Yes, it is by design. It might be the only OS in the Windows series that allows this (not sure about 2k, ME, or the NT series, though), but that's not the only behavior allowed.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:08 am   

<rant>

Design, maybe... good design... not really :P

It's been in the NT/2k/XP (... Xbox?) series of Windowses... they dump the memory to hard disk. It's exactly the same as a core dump in linux, except dumber ... they dump the whole X megs of memory to hard drive instead of just the memory of the naughty application/service/driver/whatever.

ME is just 98 with more bugs.. it doesn't have the memory dump, but it's even more practiced at spontaneously rebooting :P

Thank Gates that they've discontinued the old win 3.11/95/98/ME line of Windowses... that means my support call workload will be reducing when people start upgrading, which will be a blessing :P

</rant>
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: