Play RetroMUD
Shark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:33 pm   

.NET and Zmud plugins..

Will plugins support .NET technology?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:26 pm   

Perhaps you will get more response in the Developer's Forum.

Kjata
Shark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:23 pm   

I have no access to Developers forum
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:55 pm   

Just fill out the application. Once you fill it out, access is automatic.

Kjata
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:51 pm   

As I remember, access wasn't automatic for the Developer's forum when I filled it out. If I recall correctly, it actually took a day or so. This is in contrast to the beta forum which does allow instant access after the application. Maybe times have changed since then. If not, then expect a small delay while your application is processed.

- Charbal
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:33 am   

quote:

As I remember, access wasn't automatic for the Developer's forum when I filled it out. If I recall correctly, it actually took a day or so. This is in contrast to the beta forum which does allow instant access after the application. Maybe times have changed since then. If not, then expect a small delay while your application is processed.

- Charbal

Nope, in fact, I think you need to provide Zugg with a reason for needing access to Developers Forum (at least that was the impression I got from the page that loaded).

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:31 am   

I'll take a stab at an answer and say 'no' (to be on the safe side :)

As far as Im aware .NET produces only byte-code and not real DLLs/executables, so I'd guess that Zugg would need to build in support.

Of course, I could be wrong..

Lady C.
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:31 pm   

Note: I haven't done much programming in .NET yet so take what I say with a grain of salt

I believe this would be possible (after all, it makes little sense for Microsoft to spend years on OLE/COM/DCOM/COM+ and then not support it in .NET, requiring a rewrite of much software). MSDN documentation seems to back me up on this, most poignantly here where the interop mechanism is detailed (providing a bridge between the managed .NET assembly and the unmanaged code necessary for COM to work). That article or related ones in MSDN may be what you're looking for.

Any further discussion of this should go to the Developer's Forum, however.

- Charbal
bruntilda
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:25 am   

I don't think it's possible, because I'm pretty sure that Zmud needs to call exported procedures on the DLL, and AFAIK .NET cannot produce DLLs with exported procedures. However, C++ .NET might be the exception.
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:45 am   

This'll be my last post on the topic here, I promise :P

Perhaps DLLs with arbitrary exported procedures can't be made, but a COM Automation DLL component only exports 4 things with predetermined names and functionality: DllCanUnloadNow, DllGetClassObject, DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer.

As near as I can tell, this capability _is_ present in .NET. COM wrappers for .NET code can be generated in various ways, and regasm appears to be one of these.

Okay, I'm going to stop posting to this thread and redirect everyone to the Developer's Forum. Unless someone claims that the square root of 2 is rational... then I'd be forced to rebuff the claim :P

- Charbal
dafire
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:16 pm   

I successfully compiled a sample plugin for zmud using vc++ .net but it was not using COM but the old plugin format.

COM should be possible with some kind of wrapper but i never tried or did it

--
telnet://ff.mud.de (german language)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: