Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Bpfft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:32 am   

Need help with a trigger

I need to a trigger to attack every mob in each room of an area, and then move on to the next room.. the mobs wander.. and I'm not real good with triggers, I don't even know where to begin, so if someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:20 am   

#TR {text that identifies (wildcard for mob)} {attack that you want to use on %1}
#TR {text that identifies no mobs in room} {command to move to next room}

That's about as much as I, or anyone else, can do given the absolute absence of information you provided. Good Luck!

Bots are complex scripts. I won't write one for you. I will provide considerable assistance if your questions show considerable effort on your part, but this question doesn't show even a minimum. Most people here probably feel pretty much the same way. We're all volunteers, except for Zugg. Try using the Search link if you don't want to put any of your own thought in.

LightBulb
Bpfft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:50 am   

Okay what I do is walk in to a room, and I can see all the mobs there.. so I want to attack one, and trigger to move to the next one once the attack on that one hits the mud, they dont have the same keyword, so somehow I need to store or something which mobs are in the room, and by the time I get them all dead, different mobs would be in there. Then when there are no more mobs in the room, it would move on to the next room.

Basically what I don't know is a good way to keep track of what mobs are in the room, and which room i'm in. If someone could just point me in the right direction, i'm sure I could either figure it out or find some more intelligent questions to ask.

I realize the first post was pretty vague, but i just don't even know what information is relevant because I really know that little about triggers.
Emit
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:29 pm   

the best way to do this is start small and slowly work your way up to a complete script. do something sorta like this:
1) write a trigger to attack 1 of the versions of mobs that shows up in this area
2) test it till it works right
3) repeat 1 and 2 for each mob in the area taking any shortcuts you find (if two mobs have same keyword or something)
4) the walking part is trickier, i would try to keep a variable that showed if i was currently fighting, and if it was off for several seconds, then step to the next room in the path

what lightbulb means by more information is samples of the exact output you get from the mud, including probably
what a mob looks like when you walk into the room or do a "look"
what you see when a fight finishes
coolbriguy
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:34 am   

make a trigger that when you look if the mob name shows up in the room it attacks that mob... when you see MOB IS DEAD (or whatever it shows on your mud when you kill a mob) have it trigger another look to see the mobs in the room... that will take care of your mobs... as far as moving rooms... well one step at a time.

CoolBriguy@excite.com
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:18 pm   

quote:

I realize the first post was pretty vague, but i just don't even know what information is relevant because I really know that little about triggers.

If you know so little about triggers, ignore what you know and just post direct MUD output along with a detailed description of what you want to do. A 500-word post doesn't do any of us trying to help you any good if you can't take vague suggestions and write your own scripts.

If you have attempted to create triggers and such and you don't understand why it's not working (right), post the script itself along with the output and description. In that situation, I can guarantee that you'll have at least one post offering you a usable solution in less than 2 or so hours (or more, if you post during off-hours). I personally catch at least one post every few days about 10 minutes after it goes up.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: