Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
wargas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:11 pm   

Virus ?

bck/irk.mapsy

When i install the zmud 6.36 b
My virus progam screams about the virus bck/irk.mapsy.
Did a search took away all viruses, and did a new download. Same problem when installing again.

Is my virus program caputt or is it something that doesnt work..
Virus program is Panda titanium
Lalaynya
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:16 pm   

If you downloaded zMud from this site, I can gaurantee that there is no virus. Check to see if there are updates available for Panda, if not, you may want to e-mail them and let them know that it's coming up with false positives. I'd e-mail them the link to the download, so they can check/test it themselves.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:34 am   

Yeah, what Lalaynya said. The problem is that some antivirus programs think the zMUD executable contains a virus because it is encrypted.

Kjata
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:41 pm   

Update your virus program to the latest version and make sure you are using the latest virus definition files.

Or, use a more reputable virus checker. I use FSecure myself and it's great. Never heard of Panda.

Lalaynya
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:27 pm   

quote:

Update your virus program to the latest version and make sure you are using the latest virus definition files.

Or, use a more reputable virus checker. I use FSecure myself and it's great. Never heard of Panda.

Panda is a decent virus checker... Although I normally don't recommend it, because I like Norton better. The one case that I recommend Panda is for Win95 computers... McAffee and Norton no longer support Win95.

I have to use McAffee at work, and hate it, and I've NEVER had a problem with Norton. I love the auto-update of virus definitions, I never have to worry about them. The best I can do at work is to have it notify me that an update is available, and half the time it makes me reboot just to update the definitions.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:51 am   

I've got McAffee running and it's been steadily updating itself without raising a fuss or demanding I reboot. It's a damn finicky application to initially install, though, and I used to have all sorts of problems with the AV in general because of a botched install.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:11 pm   

I stopped using Norton myself when they introduced the subscription-based virus definition update. I now use AVG by GRISoft. It's free, the virus definiton updates are also free, it has an auto-update feauture, it uses heuristic analysis to detect unkown viruses, and it has never given me any problems with zMUD or any other program.

Kjata
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: