Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Alexbjor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:55 am   

ZMud Door Mapping Question

I do most of my mudding in Aabsolom chronicles, which has a nice, uniform set of descriptions for room title, room desc., and exits. I was wondering if there was a way to script so that when automapping, it would be detected from the exits description which directions have doors and automatically place them.

For Example, my room description line displays as follows:

[Exits: east (south) west]

east and west are normal pathways, whereas south has a door in the way.

My automapper just spits out the three directions and pretends like there is no door there, even when I try to go through.

Any Suggestions?

Alex
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:59 pm   

I've never tried this, but it might do what you want.
#TR {~((%t)~)} {#DOOR %1}

LightBulb
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:05 pm   

The problem with this is that you wouldn't be able to use the #DOOR command correctly until the mapper is finished creating the room. To solve this, you would probably have to parse the exits line to create a stringlist with all the directions that have a door. Then, you fire off the prompt and loop through the stringlist, issuing the #DOOR command with each one. However, firing of the prompt does not guarantee that the mapper is finished creating the room, so you probably would have to add a small delay to that, which would make creating rooms a lot slower since you can't move before the doors are created or everything will be messed up.

The good news is that Zugg has agreed to include in zMapper some other types of scripts like onRoomCreate that executes once a room has been totally created. The bad news is that this would most likely require you to have zMapper (although it is an excelent program and would probably be of interest to many.) A solution is still possible with the current mapper, but it is kind of messy, and may sometimes be unreliable.

Kjata
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: