Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Thandril
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:55 am   

TEMP triggers

A couple times I've found that I want to make a #TEMP trigger that, if it fails, will set itself up to trigger again. Is there a way to do this easily? A command to tell a temp trigger 'Don't delete yourself, run again' or 'Create a new temp trigger from yourself?' Hmm, maybe I can store the body of the trigger in a variable and pass that to temp? That might work. Other ideas?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:43 am   

Don't create it as a TEMP trigger. Create it as a full fleshed trigger with an id.

Format
#TRIGGER "ID" {Pattern} {Commands} "Class" {Options}

Then when it is succesful have it #UNTRIGGER itself by its ID.
lewdpotato
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:42 am   

or put your trigger in a class buy itself, this is an easy way to manage them.
then you can make a trigger turn the class on and off. I also have made a class of triggers that just turn other triggers on and off.
doomfyre
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:36 pm   

Is there some reason why turning off classes from within a trigger wouldn't work? It works fine from the command line. I have a spellbot thats activated by an emote. I put the trigger to activate the bot in its own class (because i couldn't seem to get it to shut off the trigger using an ID), then i have a trigger that _should_ turn off that class, which is triggered off a response by my bot. Just a basic example:

#TR {Joe says spell me up} {#T+ spellup; say Casting on Joe} <--- inside it's own class called activate

#TR {You say Casting on Joe} {#T- activate; dospellup} <--- in a class called spellup

#TR {You cast the last spell in your spell prog} {#T+ activate; #T- spellup} <-- spellup class

This is just a dumbed down example, but should make the point. The reason for this, is to prevent Joe from saying the trigger phrase 5 times in a row and spamming me off the mud.

Thanks for the help
Thandril
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:46 pm   

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'm fully aware of classes. I just really didn't want to make a class for these triggers I don't expect to use often. I will probably try using the trigger ID and #UNTRIGGER.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:21 pm   

A #TEMP trigger remains until it fires, so the only way it could fail is to still be waiting when you quit. Even then, it hasn't really failed -- it just hasn't succeeded yet.

LightBulb
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: