Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 4:52 am   

Trial Expiration Problem

I've just learned that the zMUD v6.16 file on the web site was set with a "drop dead" date of May 1st, 2002 for the 30-day trial. This means that if you download and install this version, your free trial will be expired.

The 6.26 beta version works fine and does not have this cutoff date (it still has a cutoff, but well into the future).

I guess when I produced the 6.16 version it never occured to me that it would take over a year to get the next public version finished.

Anyway, I apologize for any inconvience this causes anyone, and I'm currently trying to find a copy of my original 6.16 files so that I can repackage it with a different cutoff date. Stay tuned for more details.

Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:39 am   

Has it been a year already since 6.16?

Kjata
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:12 am   

Yeah, time flies!

Anyway, I was able to find a backup of the original zmud.exe file for version 6.16. I have rewrapped this file using the latest version of eLicense and removed the expiration date (well, actually the expiration is set to 5/1/2003, which should be plenty of time). I've uploaded this new file to the zuggsoft.com site and have submitted it to the Tucows archive.

Until Tucows updates their copy, I've set the downloads of zMUD to point to the local copy on the zuggsoft.com server. Once Tucows is updated, then I'll restore the pointer to their mirror network.

If you previously downloaded the version that expired on May 1st, 2002, you should be able to download the new one and it should give you your trial back (assuming you installed it less than 30 days ago).

Sorry for all the trouble, and thanks for your patience and understanding on this.

vimvam

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 3:11 pm   

This newest packed version is missing a .dll file. vtcpak33.dll
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:14 pm   

No, the vtcpak33.dll file is in the distribution. I just downloaded it and installed it on my computer here and the vtcpak33.dll file was in the directory that I installed zMUD into.

dragonwar

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:29 pm   

I am new to zmud. I recently downloaded 6.16 and i really loved playing avatar. But the trail expired and i dont have a credit card so i just figured "Well that was fun, really fun, but now i cant play anymore.
Now you say that you change the date. I have already deleted all zmud files off my pc. Does this mean that if I do redownload V 6.16 my character will be If i do i just won't even bother to download it.

Hi
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:22 pm   

Your character on avatar is totally separate from zMUD. So, if you install zMUD again and then connect to avatar and enter your username and password, your character should still be alive and well.

dragonwar

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 1:47 am   

Thank you for your kind and reasuring words zugg goru.

Hi
dragonwar

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:12 pm   

I have a bone to pick. I was really exited when you said i could download zmud and continue playing avatar. but now i download it and i still get the "this trail has expired click here to buy" this is really not cool. I just like to ask if i could somehow still get on zmud. if it is possible please tell me how. thank you.

Hi
bruntilda
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:09 pm   

quote:

I have a bone to pick. I was really exited when you said i could download zmud and continue playing avatar. but now i download it and i still get the "this trail has expired click here to buy" this is really not cool. I just like to ask if i could somehow still get on zmud. if it is possible please tell me how. thank you.

If your trial has expired you, cannot use Zmud unless you pay, but as Zugg said this has no effect on your character on Avatar. Zmud is to a mud as Internet Explorer is to a website. So, if you still want to play muds you either have to pay or find a free telnet application, such as mudmaster.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 5:50 pm   

Bad news. I just learned that the old version of eLicense that the original 6.16 version was wrapped with had a problem that prevents a new version from extending the trial period. So, even though the newly wrapped version of 6.16 has an extended expiration date, installing it on a system where the original 6.16 trial ended will not reactivate the trial.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about this. There is no way to go back and undo the original 6.16 installation. So, if you still have an expired trial because of the 6.16 expiration on May 1st, all you can do is buy zMUD and then get a refund within 30 days if you don't like it. Sorry for any inconvience this causes.

vimvam

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:40 pm   

quote:

No, the vtcpak33.dll file is in the distribution. I just downloaded it and installed it on my computer here and the vtcpak33.dll file was in the directory that I installed zMUD into.

That's strange because when I installed it, that file was missing and Zmud would not run because of it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:07 am   

Try downloading and installing it again. Don't know how it could be missing that file. It's in the distribution. Make sure you are installing zMUD to the correct directory...sounds like you installed it to one directory but then are trying to run it out of another directory. Do a Find Files and look for the vtcpak33.dll and it will be in the directory that you installed to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: