Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:59 am   

help pahlease!!

i have the free version of zmud and its been working fine up till the last 2 days, now it wont let me connect to the MUD i play (nightmare lp mud) and its keeps giving me the reconnect countdown, ive tried everything from different ip addresses, different host names, and even reinstalling it, can anyone help me out pahlease!!!
ChaoticCry
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:24 am   

try talking to someone else in the MUD to see if they changed the port number or host name.

*->MadPimp<-*
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:19 am   

http://www.mudconnector.com/mud-bin/simple_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=Nightmare+LPMud

Attempting Connection to 'sparta.imaginary.com 1701'... Timed Out

telnet doesn't work as well.

Try another player as ChaoticCry suggested
or find their website.

TonDiening
Beta Upgrading to 6.26
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:47 am   

well i e-mailed someone and maybe they can help me out but the MUDs website is down and has been for a while, i think they are waiting to put it back up until the new version comes out :p, thanks for the help and if anyone else has some helpful advice let me know!!
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:50 am   

oh yeah well i just wanted to add this in there, it might not be the MUD because i cant connect to any of the MUDs not just nightmare, maybe that is some helpful info that you made need :p
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:05 am   

Someone between you and the internet
might have added a firewall and blocked
certain ports.

That would cause you not to connect.

Try:

Start->Run
telnet.exe <mud name here> <port here>

And see if you have been blocked. That way
we can see if it is a zMud issue or internet
link issue.

TonDiening
Beta Upgrading to 6.26
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:37 am   

well it says that i cannot open a connection, but im gonna try to put the recovery disk in my comp and start from scratch and see if that works, if not then ill do whatever other advice you can come up with, thanks alot :)
Tiamat@CthulhuMUD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:48 am   

Had a similar problem when the MUD I visit crashed for a couple of days (these things happen sometimes), and again later when the host was changed while I was away. However, if you are having difficulty with all the other MUDs too, it might be something more than that.

Before you do something drastic like a complete recovery, try backing up your ZMUD directory, uninstalling ZMUD, and then re-installing it to see if maybe it isn't something simple like a corrupt file or something.

And, if the problem is a new firewall installed on a computer standing between you and your MUDs, I'm not sure a recovery will help you much anyway... I don't know any way around that, but maybe some of the nice folks on these message boards do- good luck in either case.

Tiamat
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:13 am   

tried to reinstall but that didnt work, the recovery is no big deal either, i havent saved anything and all ill have to re-download is like my AIM, morpheus and the zmud really, and update my mcafee, my internet has been acting up lately so that might be it, damn cable cant be trusted, hopefully one of you will be able to help me out cause i need to play that MUD (im so addicted:) ) thanks guys
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:43 am   

well the recovry didnt work :(, i need someone, some expert out there, to help me, i havent played in 2 days now and im feening, its like ima crack addict :p lol, hopefully someone will be able to help me out
bruntilda
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:17 am   

I cannot connect to your mud either, though I can can connect to other muds so I know it isn't my connection. Looks like it is down, and there's not much you can do about it, sorry.
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:45 pm   

thanks for the info hopefully ill be able to get connected in the next few days and everything will be ok :), thanks again guys
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:48 pm   

actually maybe this has something to do with it, i got a message that says General Protection Fault in module Zmud.exe at 0006:C447, does this have anything to do with my problem of not being able to connect to any MUD?
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:50 pm   

another for a different MUD: General Protection fault in module Zmud.exe at 0020:1D0C, any help for me in light of this new evidence so to speak :p
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:52 pm   

sweet when i try to close the zmud itself it says the same thing except the number/letter code is 0017:1D23
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:39 am   

Things like that coming up when you close zMUD are usually signs of a corrupted settings file. Try following the suggestions in the Migration Guide in the support library.

Another thing, if you are just picking MUDs from zMUD's MUD list at random, you might not be able to get through if they also have changed hostnames/ports since the list was made... try one that you know is up or update the list with the Get button when you are making a new MUD connection. They may still not all be working but at least they will be more up-to-date.

- Charbal
Elemar
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:29 am   

Urm..

I'm pretty sure the free version of Zmud doesn't have a 'get' function. :(

Also the result of the raw telnet.exe <mudname> <portname> was never posted.
Someone promote their mud and give this guy a working mud to connect to.. :P

Ele.
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:46 am   

Yeah, you're right, Elemar. And its MUD list is severely outdated, explaining why most of the entries won't work. I somehow missed the free version thing up there. Another thing to note is that the free version is officially not supported so usually the best one can hope for is that someone had the problem before and its a quick fix. There generally isn't too much troubleshooting in regards to finding issues with it (since 99.99% of its issues have been dealt with in ensuing versions)

So my suggestion would be to try connecting with telnet or use zMUD to connect to one that you know is up.

<shameless plug>If you need one, check out www.wotmud.org port 2222</shameless plug>

- Charbal
atomicdogg34
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:59 am   

well i tried the telnet to both my mud and the wotmud, neither worked so i get the feelings its either my ISP or my connection or something, we just moved our comp so maybe my mother hooked the stuff up wrong :p, doubt thats it cause if she did it prolly wouldnt work at all, this has only started to happen in the last like week so i am almost convinced now that its my ISP or connection, maybe they put up a firewall or something (if they can just up and put one up), hopefully when we talk to them monday thatll clear something up, thanks guys and if ya have anymore info or advice just let me know, peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: