Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Cronos
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:10 pm   

Mapper (Non Standard Doors)

How do I configure the cmud mapper so that I can open a door that is "Portal".

So normally, I type:

"open portal"
"e"

Open portal, then once it's opened to enter the portal by going east.

I was able to put in "open portal" in the Name field but then the mapper automatically puts me in the room to the east without actually sending "e" to the mud.

Please advise?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:41 am   

The name field completely replaces the normal exit command.
If it is a door, you would toggle the door button instead, then enter portal as the door name.

alternatively make the name field two commands:

open portal;e

The door method is more applicable to this scenario, but both will work.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:00 am   

I tried putting open door; e in the name field but it doesn't seem to like " ; " semi-colons. It types it as one long string, "open door; e" and the mud gets confused. It doesn't seem to recognize the semi-colon and send 2 separate commands.

Also if you could explain with some examples, that would help as well.

I was using portal as an example but let's say there are various types of doors but it's just not called door.

Wall, Fissure, Portal, Crack, Gate, Trapdoor

So Open Wall, Open Fissure, Open Portal, Open Gate, Open Trapdoor

Is the mapper smart enough for me to replace the default "door" with one of the above depending on the area i'm mapping?

I would be okay with the following simple example. Let's say I start in room 1, when I enter room 2, the mapper remembers there's a door called portal that leads into room 3. So I when I enter "e" and arrive in room 2, I would want CMUD to send "open portal" to the game, my char opens the portal to the east, and then I type in "e" again and I arrive in room 3 and the dot of my char shows up in room 3.

[1] [2] [3]
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:53 pm   

No need for a space after the semicolon.
Did you by any chance change your command separator character?

No the mapper is not smart enough to figure out the door name on its own.
Just like it cant figure out the special command in place of cardinal directions on its own.
It can reference a variable, but the user has to set it.

For your entering example, this could be managed with an #EVENT, if you have a variable in place to keep track of the lastRoom you were in.

#EVENT onRoomEnter {#IF ((%roomnum=2) AND (@lastRoom=1)) {open portal}}

But unless that room only has two exits, its a rather big assumption that everytime you pass through you will be going in that one specific direction.
Far better to teach the mapper to work when you do go in that direction than try to predict/second-guess yourself.
Better chance of speedwalks working as well. Especially in fast mode.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:46 pm   

Thanks for the detailed info. I may have made it too complex for what I was looking for. I was using the doors in the mud could be called other things besides "door".

I'm totally okay with "hard-coding" the properties within each room that has special non-door exits. I was just using wall, fissure, portal, gate, and trapdoor as examples.

I wasn't trying to make it dynamic or anything, just trying to figure out how to "hard-code" one room for the mapper to work and I can manually edit it and apply the same idea to other rooms that have non standard "door" exits that I have to open.

After your explanation, it gave me some hints around some things to try out so I think all 3 options below gives me what I'm looking for. I'm going to use the first 1 since it seems the most dynamic and easiest to set up going forward.

1.) Goto the room's property, type in "portal" in the door field. Update the Map Preferences properties in the door strings tab from "open %1" to "open %2" so it knows to switch from the default of "open door" to the updated room properties of "open portal"

2.) You were right, I had a space and when I removed it, it worked when I set the Room Properties Name field to "open portal;e". However, like you mentioned, the first option above is more applicable for this scenario.

3.) Set up a room specific script to send "open portal" whenever I entered this specific room.

I went with option #1 above since it was made specifically to solve this particular situation. Thanks again for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: