Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:44 am   

SQL command/function inconsistencies

It seems that if you want to use select statements, you need to use #SQLDB to open a connection, then %sql to run queries on it. If you want to use statements like insert or update, you need to use %sqldb to store a connection in a variable, then #call the execute method on it. Past posts by Zugg seem to confirm this. What do you do if you want to do both? As far as I can tell, you need to open two connections, one with #SQLDB and one with %sqldb. Seems like a lot of extra work for nothing, not to mention extra server load. Is there another way? It seems like the whole sql system could be cleaned up a bit, and the documentation could be clearer too...
ins0mnia
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 am   

Agreed that it's a bit confusing, but you only need to do it once, with either function.

#SQLDB and %sqldb followed by #CALL db.Open, are equivalent. %sqldb just gives you the connection reference needed for using #Call.

%sql and #Call Execute are similar too, but %sql gives you reference to the results. Note that you have to Post after an Insert when using %sql.

The example on the bottom of %sqldb shows a Select query with %sql after making connection with %sqldb, instead of #SQLDB.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:35 am   

You haven't said anything I didn't already know, though. Is it possible to insert with %sql? I'm fairly certain it's not, since it gives an access violation every time I try. In fact, Zugg has said in the past that %sql is only for queries that return results, i.e. selects. On the other hand, is it possible to use select queries using a connection variable created with %sqldb? Again, I don't think it is. In fact, the documentation says that the execute method should only be used for queries that don't return anything, and to use %sql instead for those queries. So again, how do you do both select and insert queries on the same connection?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:15 am   

Quote:

On the other hand, is it possible to use select queries using a connection variable created with %sqldb?

Both %sql() and .execute() only work on database connection names, not on the variable references. It really doesn't matter HOW the connection was made, except that .execute() has a THIS reference that seamlessly derives the appropriate data from the COM object.

$var = %sql(AardwolfData,"select * from ...")
#call @dbAardwolfData.execute("insert ...")

So, essentially, yes it is possible to use select queries using a connection variable created with %sqldb(). It's probably possible to use .execute() with the db connection name, too, though I didn't try that one.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:13 am   

Ah, you're right. I missed that %sqldb allows you to set the name of the connection to be used with %sql, not just create a connection object to be stored in a variable. Thanks!
ins0mnia
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:53 am   

According to the help file, it should be possible to do -any- query with %sql.
I haven't tested it in a few months but I think I had access violations also, so something's up with it. Or the file is outdated.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:44 pm   

The documentation for %sqldb says:
Quote:
Execute(sql) : execute the given SQL statement. Should be used for SQL statements that do not return a result. Use the %sql function for queries that return results.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that the reverse is true (that %sql can't be used for queries that do not return a result), but according to Zugg here:
Zugg wrote:
To use SQL commands that do not return any query results, you need to use the Execute method of the actual database connection and not the %sql function. Use %sqldb to open a database connection and store the object in a variable, then use the Execute method. Something like this:
Code:
db = %sqldb("MyDb.db")
#call @db.Execute("INSERT INTO table (column1, column2, ...) VALUES (value1, value2...)")

Seeing as I get an access violation when I try to insert with %sql, I think it's safe to say that %sql can only be used with queries that return results, and the documentation could be updated to reflect this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: