Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
LimitedWisdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:14 am   

Mapper - Map "canvas" not big enough

I'm using CMUD Pro 3.33a on Win7 64 bit.

I'm a total newbie at working with CMUD and with maps in general - so please forgive me if this is painful obvious. I did search for quite a while and didn't see anything that answers this question - again, my apologies if I've overlooked something.

When I make a map of a particularly large zone, I essentially run out of room on the map. When I zoom way out, I can still see all the rooms. However, when I zoom in to anything approaching 100%, I can't scroll low enough to see the rooms...I can tell the map is still working when I zoom out - but I can't seem to figure out how to see those ones on the bottom. I have selected all rooms and moved them up - but then I just have the problem at the top of the map.

I did drag the rooms around, trying to make labels and make the room groupings easier to see and find - but even if I squeeze the rooms closer together, still can't seem to overcome this issue. (A minor side note, I can't figure out how to make the text labels move with the rooms when I select everything. Not the end of the world, but quite a pain.)

Anyway, I'd love to know what I'm missing. I checked the documentation and didn't see anything there either. Here's hoping this is easy and obvious.

Thanks,
-LW

PS. Thanks for making such an awesome client! I love using CMUD...
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:43 am   

There are a few tricks you can use, depending on whether you can live without a few things:

1)turn off the various toolbars. While you can turn off the drawing toolbar whenever you want, I don't believe you can make it stay turned off as you switch back and forth between draw/follow modes (that is, if you turn it off while in draw mode and then flip first to follow and then back to draw, the drawing toolbar will be redisplayed)

2)make the map window bigger. Obviously the bigger it gets the less playable it becomes (unless you have a dual-monitor setup).

3)make more zones with smaller room counts. I've got about 300 zones in my map, for example. The mapper doesn't work well with high room-counts in a single zone.

4)use the Zone|Refresh menu option to recalculate the zone borders. Zone borders are calculated based on the farthest distance you dragged rooms along the edges, so if you then subsequently dragged them back into a smaller configuration you might have some extra empty space cluttering things up. The refresh recalculates the borders based on where the outermost rooms are currently, though to forewarn you they don't take into account label dimensions (any labels you have along the edge might fall off the edge so you can no longer read them).

Also, text labels and room objects don't play well together. Even though you can select both together, when you do any type of action upon the group it only affects rooms (this may or may not be dependant on which specific object is considered the selected object). If you want the text to travel with the room boxes, you'll have to give the appropriate rooms/exits a label.

Room labels: right-click on the room and choose the label submenu, then choose what directional orientation to use. Keep in mind that using a label will fill in the Shortname field of the room so you cannot have both a shortname and a label.

Exit labels: within the Room Properties window, go to the Exits tab and choose the exits, then fill in the Label field. This ONLY shows if the exit links to a room in a different zone and for two-way links it's not possible to have separate labels on each side (the workaround is to instead use two one-way links.) There seems to be a bug here wherein you can make the two-way link have different labels IF you first set the label and then edit the other side, or if something corrupted your mapfile (even after getting fixed, something apparently doesn't get reconnected right and you have single-exit linked pairs operating independantly of their mates.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: