Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
DuncanLakini

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:29 am   

Database Scripting help

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the CMUD scripting language, but I am a software developer so hopefully I should be a fast learner. I am having a hard time finding some examples of database access thru the scripting language. If anyone could point me to a good tutuorial or send me some of their sample scripts I would appreciate it greatly. I am looking for any all around tutuorial on the database and it's featuers other than the help files, but I am really looking for help in the areas of inserting/modifying records into a DB and executing queries against the DB like getting counts on a search to make sure no dupes are inserted and things of that nature.

Thanks,
Duncan
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:14 pm   

Keep in mind that the "database module" in CMUD is a direct port of the module from zMUD and it is not a "true database". As a programmer, you'll probably be disappointed with it. It is a flat file and queries are done via sequential searching through the flat data. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any tutorial or info other than the help files, but be sure to read the Database Module and all of its sub topics in the online help files. There is actually a fair amount of information there.

If you want to use a *real* SQL database, the 3.x Beta version of CMUD adds a #SQLDB command and %sql query function described HERE. CMUD allows you to create local SQLite database files, while CMUDPRO allows you to use a large number of different local and remote SQL database providers.
DuncanLakini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:29 am   

Thanks for the info. The BETA's implementation of SQLite definately looks like what I'll want to use. Good stuff... Look forward to downloading the BETA this week and playing with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: