Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ambelghan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:00 am   

From beta to 2.37

How do I load the mapper from the latest beta version to 2.37. If I delete uninstall the beta to load the stable client, I end up with a mapper that does not work.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:12 am   

The mapper file format for the 3.x beta line is different from that of the public release, and it is not backwards compatible. The first time you use the 3.x beta line on a given map in performs a one-way conversion. You can find the original map file from the time of conversion. However any changes made to the map since conversion would be lost. If the map was created entirely in the 3.x beta line than there is *no way* to convert that back to the 2.37 public release map format.

* - It may (depending on all the changes made) technically be possible two write your own low-level database conversion script but it would require in-depth of both map file formats, SQLite, MDB and is certainly not for the faint of heart.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:14 am   

Sweet Jesus, so I am better off just creating the map from scratch? Awesome! Well maybe the next beta will get rid of the game breaking issue caused by the last one.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:19 am   

I'm not sure what "game breaking issue" you are referring to. I'll refrain from reiterating the purpose of Betas. I see you had a post about %numwords() is that what you're referring to?
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:20 am   

Indeed, I am sure it will be addressed in due time.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:05 pm   

Tech is mistaken (doesn't happen often! Btw, welcome back, Tech!). There is a conversion utility for changing maps from 2.37 to 3.XX format and back. See this thread, which is stickied on the Beta forum: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34544
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm   

Thanks for the correction Rahab. I've never used the utility but I'll be sure to play around with it. It's good to be back. Very Happy
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:17 am   

I have been messing with it, it does not seem to convert beta cmud maps to zmud format, looks like I am sol there.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 pm   

It should, as that was exactly the purpose of the utility. If there is a problem, post it on the Beta forum.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:05 pm   

There are two supported mapfile formats, with a third still floating around that is either definitively NOT supported or which was left to the devices of player scripting (ie, Charbal's Zone Conversion utility which no longer works). The file formats are as follows:

.dbm -- currently called the "beta mapper" format, it is used only in the 3.x version series of CMud

.mdb -- used in all versions of CMud up to 2.37, also used in ZMud 7.21 (technically back into the 6.2x range, I think, but from what I gather about the eLicense situation none of these other versions work anymore)

.map -- used in older versions of zmud, they were the mapper equivalent of CMud's package files and thus you could easily share specific zones with other people via exporting. They each started their vnums at #1, so it was impossible to integrate them into .mdb format since that was, essentially, one giant zone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: