Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:21 am   

CMUD's backups / Mixed up tool-tips

Edit - Just realized this went to the general discussion forum but was meant for the beta sorry.

CMUD locked up the other night and all my settings are gone now for the mud I was on. The SQL DB appears to be empty. I had my number of backups set to 5 but that was useless. I opened CMUD this evening and logged into the mud to find everything was gone, I now have 5 backups of a corrupted package as well. I am going to start using GeneralStonewall .bat script from here on out but I figured I would throw a suggestion out there. The current backup system CMUD uses works fine when everything is going good, but that's not why we make backups is it? I believe i've read that CMUD makes backups once you change something in your package if you have the Automatic backups option enabled?

I personally think it would be more useful to have a timed backup option of some sort, where the user could set the time interval to what they wanted. I have created a new package that I will be adding to every session from now on that will launch the backup script every every 30 minutes. It would be more convenient to do this with just a few clicks in the preferences menu though. That's just my personal opinion though.

Another option that could be useful would be to allow us to give a file name when using #save then default to the main package name if nothing is specified. I actually favor this over adding a user defined timer in the preferences section.

Now for a few mixed up tool-tips I have noticed in the Preferences editor.
-- User Interface > Backup. Hover your mouse over the text to the right of the "Number of backup files to keep" box.
-- User Interface > Command line. Hover over the text to the right of "Minimum command length to save" box.
-- Scripting > General Scripting. Hover over the text above the "Default scripting language" box.
-- Network > Proxy server. Username and Password tool tips are switched for SOCKS5 validation.

Last edited by Fizgar on Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:20 pm   

The CMUD automatic backup system in the Beta version only makes backup files when you initially load a package into CMUD. It does not make a backup whenever you change anything.

Adding an argument to the #SAVE command is a good idea and something that I'll add to the to-do list.

I'll also add the tooltip issues to the bug list, thanks.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:22 pm   

Thanks for considering the #save suggestion and adding it to the list Zugg.
CMUD 3.34
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: