Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
loktai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:54 am   

Need some help determining why my delete key won't delete text from input box

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard, and for some reason the delete key (although functional in, say, notepad) refuses to delete a highlighted string in the CMUD input line.

Is there any setting I may have changed within CMUD to cause this?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 am   

I have no idea. I actually have a G15 keyboard myself and have never had any problem like this. If the CMUD command line has the keyboard focus, then the delete key should work. If not, then you might check to see if you have the latest keyboard drivers.
loktai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 am   

So, I randomly discovered that the delete key works if i'm holding shift. I verified I have the latest drivers and this is still occurring.
Woom
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm   

I have the same problem since upgrading CMUD to 3.14a.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:52 pm   

Do you have some other windows open, like the Mapper or Settings Editor that might be intercepting the Delete key? Do you maybe have a Macro assigned to the Delete key?

You need to investigate this more on your end because I'm using the G15 keyboard with 3.14a just fine without any problems.
Woom
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm   

No, I use CMUD rather bare bones. Nothing out of the ordinary. No macros or aliases, only a few triggers. Only one session window open. As loktai discovered, Shift+Del works, as does Ctrl+Del or Alt+Del, but that's the only thing affecting this I can find.

I do not use a G15 keyboard, though. Mine is an acer laptop keyboard.
hadar
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 am   

i have had this problem on cmud for awhile where delete wont randomly work in the input line im on a windows 7, on a toshiba labtop

note: this has not happened in awhile for me i think something in 3.14a has fixed it for me
anatta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:50 am   

I've also had this problem since switching to 3.14a; the delete key will randomly stop deleting, unless I hold Alt, Shift, or Ctrl.

I do have a macro for the (NumLock'd) keypad decimal/period, and when this bug hits, NumLock ON does the macro, off does nothing, though it should input a decimal/period on the command line.

Dell USB keyboard, WinXP SP3
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:22 pm   

I will repeat my question from above that nobody answered"
Quote:
Do you have some other windows open, like the Mapper or Settings Editor that might be intercepting the Delete key?

Also, if this is only happening in the 3.14 Beta version then this post should be made in the BETA FORUM!
Woom
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 am   

Oh, sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. No, no special windows were open, only the session window.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:33 pm   

OK, please try this:

1) Run CMUD
2) CLOSE the session window (do not open any session)
3) Click on the command line and type something (like "this is a test")
4) Press the left arrow key a couple of times to move the cursor back
5) Press the DEL key and tell me if it deletes a character.

If that works, but it doesn't work in your specific session, then try holding down the SHIFT key and click the Open Offline action to open your session and reset any layout files. Then try the above procedure again.

What is happening to effect the DEL key is that some other window or input component is taking the keyboard focus away from the command line. So the DEL key is getting sent to some other widget and not the command line. Or it is getting sent to the keyboard menu shortcut of some other window.
malikai3k
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm   

I had the same problem and have a G15 old one with the 18G buttons.

It has gone away now and seems to be working fine,.

I had another problem with my layout going all wacky so I deleted both my .lay and .xly files from the sessions folder and set it all up again. Since then it works fine. I am still displaying all the same stuff i was before when i had the issue.

So doing what zugg said will fix your issue

Maybe something goes bonkers with the layouts when you upgrade to the Beta version?
bretcalib

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:20 am   

I do not have idea..i shall let you know in my next posting..
Woom
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:38 pm   

I finally figured out what causes this (haven't been MUDding much lately, so it took a while). It starts happening as soon as you search the scrollback for something (Ctrl+F or Edit -> Find), so that's likely the widget taking control. It keeps happening after closing and starting a new session, but goes away if you restart the entire CMUD.
Other symptoms of the problem are sluggish keyboard input and scrolling only updating when new output is sent.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:03 pm   

You should check and see if this problem still exists in the 3.16 beta version since several changes were made to the keyboard focus when the command line was changed.
Woom
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:35 pm   

Yeah, I'm on 3.16b at the moment.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:45 am   

Are you canceling the Find dialog when you are done with it, or is it still open, like behind the main window?

I just tried this in 3.16b. I did Ctrl+F to find text, then clicked Cancel in the Find dialog, then typed on the command line, pressed the left-arrow a few times, then the Del key and it properly deleted characters.

Please try this in a blank session to see if you can still reproduce the problem.

Edited: Also, please tell me the setting of your "Macros override menu shortcuts option"
Woom
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:14 pm   

It happens both after hitting "Cancel" and hitting the X button to close the dialog, in both blank and active sessions, and irrespective of the "Macros override menu shortcuts" setting (although I usually go with the latter unchecked).
It does, however, only happen in sessions using a particular layout (.xly) file. Using a different file, or unchecking "use layout" in the session properties makes it work fine.
loktai

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:48 pm   

Deleting the retromud.xly file resolved this issue for me - I'm assuming it had something to do with the numerous upgrades I've let it burn through.
crimsonsage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:13 am   

Hate to be bumping an old thread but I'm having this same issue too. I have a fresh install of CMud so I can't say whether or not it happens on other version. I'm on 3.34

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard -- all drivers are up to date.

I cannot use the DEL key unless I am using shift, control, or alt in conjunction with the DEL key.

There are no windows open in the background, and even with a blank/no session, the issue remains the same.

I have deleted and recreated a layout (I literally just purchased CMud a few hours ago though so there isn't anything funky in there). The issue remains.

I also have tried checking and unchecking "Macros override menu shortcuts".

This is frustrating because I tend to type quickly and when I make errors or need to make changes I like using ctrl+left arrow to jump to the beginning of a word, and I use the DEL key rather than backspacing or clicking the cursor into position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: