Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Alkatr0z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:34 am   

[3.12] MCCP error message when MCCP is turned off

Hi,

I play on Discworld MUD and have been getting the MCCP errors when playing with MCCP enabled, so I disabled MCCP yet I still recieve the MCCP errors. There doesn't seem to be anything that particularly triggers it so I used wireshark to capture all communication with the MUD while playing(it happens whether I'm idling or acitve).

Anyway looking at the conversation it appears that CMUD initiated a IAC DO COMPRESS2 (ff fd 56) off its own bat, I've cut down a capture to include from just before the renegotiation to the end where I disconnected due to the MCCP compression errors. Interestingly the renegotiation segment includes the welcome message for the MUD and yet this did not appear on the screen, as well as it did not require me to login or to type in my password(cmud doesn't know my password) despite the login screen including a request for the username.

Can someone advise me where I can email the capture to or what upload service is preferred for uploads?

I've uploaded it to rapidshare @ http://rapidshare.com/files/330443611/Discworld_MCCP_negotiation.zip.html and megaupload @ http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VBMON0H5

In case its required for the capture to be viewed by someone the Wireshark version I used is Version 1.2.3 (SVN Rev 30730)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:17 am   

Make sure you are turning off MCCP for your main session window and not some other window. CMUD never sends the IAC DO COMPRESS2 unless the MUD first negotiates it, and in looking at the code, the IAC DO COMPRESS2 is only sent to the MUD when the "Enable MCCP" option is enabled in your Preferences. But I'll try to connect to Discworld myself to see what I can find. Maybe some other people could also try to reproduce this since nothing has changed with the MCCP negotiation in a long time and nobody else has ever reported a problem like this.
Alkatr0z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 am   

Okay I've got it figured out thanks to you Zugg.

When I connect to Discworld I get two windows
One is labelled Discworld.mud, Discworld Map
The second is labelled untitled
Discworld.mud, Discworld Map is the one I turned off MCCP on and the one that I actually use.
untitled is connected(shows the mud welcome screen) but doesn't actually do anything.

Setting untitled to have MCCP turned off as well with MCCP still the default stopped the error from occurring. I suspect this is also the root cause of the MCCP errors that I actually was getting with MCCP turned on since it was reconnecting and hitting the known MCCP bug. I might try recreating the profile and see if that gets rid of the untitled window in the meantime I've switched off MCCP on the untitled window and have it turned on for my main window so I should be able to enjoy MCCP without the MCCP compression errors.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:30 pm   

Not sure why you have two windows, but my guess is that you imported your old zMUD files into another package instead of importing them as a session. You might want to try getting rid of the untitled window. If you go into the Settings Editor and click on each window, you should see the Network Connection properties of the window. Set the Untitled window to not have any network connection, and set the Discworld.mud window to use the main Session. Then restart the session so that the Discworld window is the primary session window and then CMUD should let you delete the un-needed Untitled window.
Alkatr0z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 pm   

Yep, this profile would have been created on zMud and then transferred to the very first available version of cmud and then to various versions of cmud since.

Thanks for your instructions, I've removed the untitled window and now I only have the discworld.mud window.

Thanks alot for your assistance Zugg. CMUD is a great application as was ZMUD before it :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: