Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Kajih

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:37 pm   

CMUD Automapper Prefix

Hi, is there a way to automatically add a prefix for every room? like say I have a new skill, instead of doing simply 's' I would do 'sneak s' and the map would automatically go one room south. I know I can do this manually for every exit but I just mapped over 3000 rooms and I really don't feel like going to every exit and adding the "sneak" prefix to every room exit. if there's a script I can write or change some configuration in the mapper somewhere that would be great.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:35 pm   

It's pretty simple, actually. What you'll wind up doing is creating your own directions (or edit those in the English Directions.)

What you'll do is go to View->Show Default packages, then select the English Directions package. Then go to View->Show->Directions. In each of the directions, just change the value from whatever it is now to sneak <dir>|sneak <dirlong> (meaning change n|north to sneak n|sneak north).

Charneus
Kajih

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:49 pm   

Awesome, that worked great! is there a way to change this back and forth with some programming like make a button to say sneak is on, change it to this and if it's off do it normally? it's not really a big deal if you can't, I can just do it manually. thanks again.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:49 am   

I suggest not changing anything in a default package at all. Any time you upgrade the installer's going to overwrite that file and delete all your work.

Instead, if you need to make changes, delete that package from your session and make your own. You can even copy-paste what was in the English Directions package. A simple fix is to put the originals from ED into a folder called "normal" and then make duplicates in other folders (sneak, swim, etc) that you can then turn on and off as needed.

More complex fixes can probably even be made where you incorporate a variable into the command section of the #direction instead of pure plain text (ie, @{prefix}dir|@{prefix}direction), thereby shrinking your need for #directions to one set that then adapts to any of the scripts you write (ie, prefix = "sneak ", prefix = "swim ",prefix = "charge ", etc).
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:58 am   

If your direction is, for example, "s|south|sneak s|sneak south" then the map will follow you whenever you do any of those. No need to switch back and forth. (Although it's a good point about making a custom set rather than using the default packages.)

Or are you asking about having the normal directions automatically sneak (for example you enter s and it does sneak s)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: