Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
richruzz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:22 am   

Issue with a trigger not triggering (Not sure if I am doing it wrong)

Example Trigger:
^*@target* chants in a rumbling voice like the grating of stone against stone, the earth quivering unsteadily underfoot in reply.
Value:
dodge @target

For some reason it won't pickup on the person or even activate and I cannot understand why.

And for my alias I have
Alias t
Value:
target=%1

Some others are sharing the same code setup and it is working for them and I am not sure why mine differs any help would be appreciated.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:28 am   

There's nothing in what you posted that would be a problem. More details will be needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:31 am   

Others are not having the problem for using the same lines... does it have anything for me having Windows 7 or a 64 bit system incompatibility? Or is there any other information I can give you?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:05 am   

1)change the pattern, and start simple:

a)first, use ^*. This is definitely going to fire on everything, so before you change the pattern you may want replace "dodge @target" with "#print test;#noop dodge @target".

b)if the trigger fires with the pattern from part a, change the pattern to ^*@target and see what happens.

c)if the pattern from b still works, add the * to the end of @target. If the trigger stops working then you must find a different way to match @target* because CMud is interpreting that as "the contents of the variable target*" instead of "the contents of the variable target and everything else that comes after".

d)if the pattern from c works, add in a few of the plain-text words. If the trigger stops working, take off some of the words you added until you get a working pattern again. Fix the issue, then continue adding words until you reach the end or have to fix another problem.

2)what are the trigger options? Based on the content of the line, you probably only want the standard options: Trigger on Newline and Trigger on Trigger. If these aren't checked, fix that. Another thing to look at is the type of trigger. It should be a pattern-type.

3)where is the trigger located? The trigger won't fire if the window/module it's located in doesn't have access to a network connection, so if the window/module says that the main game-window package isn't checked for this window/module then it'd never fire. Similarly, if the trigger is in a module and that module is in a different package than the game window and the module is set to be local then it won't fire because it can't see the network connection in the main window.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:18 am   

If target is a group of items, then you'll need to do {@target} and not just @target. Just a heads up.

Charneus
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: