Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
knuffel
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:34 am   

Restore Ancient ZMUD into CMUD ... Advice Needed.

Hi,

Could use some advice from experts here.

I started mudd'ng again and thought I had no backup of ZMUD anymore.
I cashed up a month or two the license for CMUD and started to rediscover the beauties of mapping.

Two months later and cleaning up some old boxes, I found a perfect backup copy of ZMUD from 2003.

I gave it a quick try if I could import it in CMUD, but was told I would needed to upgrade to ZMDUD 7.13

My question for the wizards out here.

I plan to do the following.

Install ZMUD 6.53 (latest exe I have on file / backup)
Restore backup
Upgrade to latest ZMUD 7.xx (which I can do from here)
Backup my CMUD Map DB.
Import my ZMUD session in my current CMUD session.

Any words of advice / wisdom before I embark on a restoring excercise ?

Does this make sense or is there a much easier way ?

Thanks,
Boris
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:28 am   

1)make backups of all the pre-import zmud and cmud files you want to keep. Do nothing else until you have made these backups.

2)get rid of any duplicates in your session tree as well as in your datafile system. A simple rename should suffice, the main idea is to avoid having the importer import something like a ZMud Aardwolf session when your copy of CMud already has an Aardwolf session by the same name with the same files. It's absolute hell trying to untangle duplicate sessions, and you might lose your data completely.

3)Since you don't seem to be keen on continuing to use ZMud, edit your scripts to fix the minor syntax differences between ZMud and CMud (see the Changes for ZMud users section of the helpfile). Most if not all of these fixes will break the ZMud version of the script, so I wouldn't try doing this while connected to the mud. Making these changes in ZMud will significantly cut down on the thousands of tedious bugfixes you'll have to make in CMud after the import.

4)after the import, but before you open the session, make another set of CMud backups. This will give you a pristine copy of your newly created files, in case something in CMud goes wrong as you play and expand and upgrade your scripts to take advantage of newer features.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 pm   

Hi Matt,

Thanks, now I started and I am stuck :-)

Backups > OK
Initial Install of ZMUD 6.40 > OK
Restore of ZMUD 6.40 > OK
Install of ZMUD 6.40 License > OK
Upgrade to latest version > OK
Trying to upgrade to new e-license > OK
Run around in upgraded version > OK
Import into CMUD > OK for session

Open maps > NOK

I get an error

Cannot open old map files
Load map files in ZMUD 7.20 and convert

But isn't that what I just did ?
knuffel
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm   

Quick update on the above problem.
The exact error ends with Table VersTbl not found.
Searching here, it points to Zmapper, and indeed I know I used to use that program as well and have a couple of licenses lying around as well.

Since I am really only interested in all my old maps, this is really the challenge I have (script errors are not that important).

Second, looking at good old Zmud with the sidebar of all locations, is this still possible in CMUD ?

Seems my problem is described here: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34262
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:44 pm   

Did you actually open the map in Zmud 7.20? If you didn't, the map did not get converted. Simply upgrading the software does not upgrade the character and map files.
knuffel
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:12 am   

Aye, I opened the map.
I compacted the map.
I logged on to my MUD and walked around on the map.

BR.
Boris
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:04 pm   

If the map from 6.40 is really an old-format map, 7.21 would have detected that and run the converter itself. If that didn't happen, the map either honestly didn't convert or it's in the proper format already (and CMud 2.37 would've used it and 3.12 would've auto-converted it to the new map format that the beta mapper uses).

If you didn't see a converter progress bar or if you want to try again, perhaps you can attempt to run zsconvert.exe with the mapfile as its argument. I don't know how it works (or, really, if it's even there as part of the zmud package), so as always make a backup in case it really messes things up.

I don't think the map format is dependant on the specific use of ZMud versus ZMapper, though. You can try upgrading ZMapper and opening the map there, but it's not necessary.

Beyond that, don't throw the map away. Zugg (support@zuggsoft.com) might want to use it for his collection of maps that don't convert to the new betamapper format. At the very least, he's got the tools and knowledge to spot what might be wrong (but I don't think he'll be able to look at it until after the holidays, so you'd have to wait about 3 weeks)
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:59 pm   

Hi Matt,

Thanks again.

I for sure will not throw the map away and will wait untill Zugg is back from holidays.
Right now I use Zmud to review the maps will remapping in CMUD, so no hurries :-)

BR,
Boris
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:20 pm   

Make sure you are really running zMUD v7.21. When you run zMUD, go to the Help/About box to verify the version. It's possible that your zMUD upgrade from 6.40 to 7.21 didn't work or put the new version in a different directory or something. If you get the error about "Load map files in ZMUD 7.20 and convert" then there is no way for CMUD to load the file since the map is in an old format that CMUD can't read.
knuffel
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:42 pm   

Hi Zugg,

Thanks, it says everywhere 7.21, on the splash screen, in the about and in the main screen.
Also, the import of the rest worked OK, it is just the map that throws this error.
Anyway I can force a conversion of the map ?
Would it help to send the SQL error report that is generated ?

Best Regards,
Boris
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:13 pm   

You'll need to email me your map file to sales@zuggsoft.com along with the SQL error, but I won't be able to look at it until January, sorry. It sounds like at some point zMUD didn't upgrade your map file correctly. There isn't any way to "force" it...each zMUD version updates the map itself. It's possible you jumped from a version of zMUD that was too old or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: