Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
freshman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:17 pm   

MXP does not work AT ALL?

Hello list, just having updated to cmud 2.37, after trying the beta 3.12, having used version 2.23,
I'm completely baffled that MXP stopped working totally.

The mud (mud.tap.de:2000), successfully negotiated MXP and enables the mode.
CMUD shows in it's settings page, that it has enabled mxp.

However, a bunch of <!EL> and all other tags, even &lt; and other atoms show up literally in the screen.
Cmud does not interprete anything!!! It does so even when MXP protocoll is locally and remote enforced in the configuration.

As a side effect, ANSI Colors don't work when CMUD is in MXP mode (so it knows it has to do something special), only when mxp is disabled.

In the login banner of the mud an email address is given, even that is automatically rewritten to an <A HREF="mailto:... >
though not strictly required it's a nice feature, if it would display right and work.

What's this? Is some odd button in the settings selected somewhere? Is there a dll or windows lib missing?
freshman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:12 pm   Fwp: MXP does not work AT ALL?

More experience showed the following:

a) You need to completely deinstall the beta. Then reinstall cmud 2.37. Apparently it's some lib issue.

b) Printing of the tags was caused by the 'enable MXP debug' button.

c) In the Cmud beta 3.12, indeed MXP doesn't seem to work right. Also ANSI Colours don't work in parallel with MXP (which is a pity since the colours in mxp work in a stacked, cascaded fashion, whereas you just set them in ANSI. That means, you can't do a simple text replacement in the mud to switch between ANSI and MXP colours.

In case someone is interested, this was with WIndows XP Prof, SP3, updated to the spot.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 pm   

I logged into that mud with 3.12 and MXP is working fine.

Haven't checked the ANSI color issue though yet.

I will say, though, that something isn't quite right. It is not properly quoting the > symbol, getting the lovely &gt for it.

This is more a beta issue though maybe. Should move this to the other forum.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:53 pm   

okay, I see a problem

say ^This is a blue ampersand: ^blue^^&^^norm^!

should print out a blue ampersand sign according to the mud but it doesn't.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 pm   

What version of Cmud are you using? There is a known bug like this in the beta version, 3.12. Are you using 3.12, or 2.37?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:47 pm   

The 3.x Beta versions added an MXP option called "Remote MXP" that you might need to enable if your MUD is not negotiating MXP properly.

There is a known bug in the Beta with mixing ANSI color codes within MXP tags. But as long as the ANSI code isn't within an MXP tag, they should still work fine.

What is the ^ character doing in your example above? I don't understand what you are saying in your post above.

Finally, please remember when reporting problems that I need to see the exact text being sent from the MUD in order to debug MXP problems.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:37 pm   

That was the exact test. It was from the muds HELP ANSI text. The ^ sign is marking the text for ingame processing. The first one tells it that you want the text in color. The second and third delineate changing the color to blue. Fourth and fifth are because of using the ampersand, and the last two to change back to normal coloring before the exclamation point.

I couldn't remember if there was still a bug with ANSI and MXP in the beta. As the OP mentioned it was an issue with the beta, that is what I tested it on.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:11 pm   

Run the Script Debugger window so you can capture exactly what the MUD is sending back to CMUD after you enter your ^blue^^&^^norm command. I can't help without seeing the exact MXP that is causing the problem.

But other than ANSI color codes not working within *some* MXP tags, there isn't any other known MXP bugs that would cause MXP to stop working completely like the original poster mentioned, so I'll need a lot more information about how to reproduce this problem in order to help more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: