Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
karthsun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:49 am   

Zmud 6.16 Memory Leak or what?

I try to do a #forall @itemnames (value %i) and it locks up my computer like I got a memory leak or something. There are about 30 1 word entries in the @itemnames variable list. Each one sets off a trigger. So 30 triggers as well. Give or take. Well... I do the #forall @itemnames (value %1) and it echo's the entries in the variable but freezes my computer down to a point where I can hardly move my mouse, Fatal Exeption Blue Screens, and eventually brings my computer to a halting frozen state. At that point I have to shut down and start up again. Any one know what the deal is? My system has 512Megs of memory so it's not like I should be running out of memory. And this script works fine on Zmud 5.55
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:12 am   

quote:

I try to do a #forall @itemnames (value %i) and it locks up my computer like I got a memory leak or something. There are about 30 1 word entries in the @itemnames variable list. Each one sets off a trigger. So 30 triggers as well. Give or take. Well... I do the #forall @itemnames (value %1) and it echo's the entries in the variable but freezes my computer down to a point where I can hardly move my mouse, Fatal Exeption Blue Screens, and eventually brings my computer to a halting frozen state. At that point I have to shut down and start up again. Any one know what the deal is? My system has 512Megs of memory so it's not like I should be running out of memory. And this script works fine on Zmud 5.55

What's your OS? If it's Windows and you are not using...Win NT (yes, no, maybe so?), Win 2k, ME (I guess), or XP, you have a resource limit attached to every program you run. 128kb/128mb or something. Regardless of how much RAM is actually sitting in your DIMM slots, this limit is all that program gets to use.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Tolpan
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:25 am   

With a list of 30 elements I cant think of recource problem.

I have experienced much more problems with migrated zMud settings.
Try to set up a brand new char with a brand new settings
directory / file.

Then only test ONE feature with that char. Often enough I ran
into problems because other old settings/triggers/macros corrupt
the documented behavior of even simplest triggers.
karthsun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:01 pm   

Well I'm running Win 98 SE. I've tried to start a new character file but it seems to be specific to that one script. Just freaks out Zmud...
karthsun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:14 pm   

Little more specific...

I found that the only time I get frozen up when attempting this script, is when I'm actually connected to the MUD. Offline, the #forall @itemnames works with out locking up my system even slightly. Any one know of any connectivity issues with Zmud that could cause it to freeze up a system?
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 11:48 am   

i'm beginning to notice zmud hogging more and more ram, depending on how long its been running. so far, at 30 hours runtime it was taking 43meg with 2 windows open (main mud window, a window to capture tells). not needing the tells, i closed that window, memory went up to 46meg. use the clear command (#clr) and all of a sudden, zmud's using 52meg ram.

anyone else noticing this under 6.16 and XP?

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:18 pm   

If it happens online, might be a problem with your network card. Try looking for the latest drivers for it.

Kjata
Sildaren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:11 pm   

Karthsun:
stupid question: if you use
#forall @itemnames {value %i}
(parenthesis are used for functions, braces are for commands, so your syntax is wrong)
do you get the same problem?

And if you do that #forall @itemnames {value %i} offline, then cut all the commands to clipboard,
then connect and paste them to commandline and send the whole bunch
of commands 'manually' - do you get the same lock?

Finally - if you do a
#LOOP 1,10 {value %item(@itemnames,%i)}
with varying numbers instead of the 10, does it lock for lower numbers?
Does it start locking when the 'commands send' and the response from the mud start to overlap?

seamer: I think you should email Zugg.
I don't know if the #CLR command is actually capable of freeing used memory, but if you can reproduce the effect that using it increases the used memory significantly, something sounds really wrong.
Also: Since Windows apparently has trouble adding small chunks of used ('allocated') then de-allocated memory back to 'normal free memory',
the effect that the available free memory goes down when running zMUD (or similar programs) for hours and days, is more or less inevitable.
It's only called a 'memory leak' if zMUD failes to de-allocate the memory when it's not used anymore.
(I agree this isn't much comfort to the person who sees zMUD crashing when it runs low on resources.)
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:59 pm   

i know this thread's long-unused, but i did notice something..
using the same script for zmud 5.55 and 6.16 on exactly the same pc/hardware/settings, i've noticed 6.16 does consume alot more ram than 5.55.
i've had 5.55 consistantly connected for 80+ hours, a total of 3meg physical ram and 3meg pagefile usage, whereas 6.16 under the same conditions runs up to 50meg. i'm thinking its not my "network card drivers" now :)

as i dont subscribe to the beta forums, has the problem been noticed by others and had it fixed?

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: