Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:04 am   

[1.13][Request] The Shared Package Library

I'd like to request that all users who have bought CMUD be given upload access to the Shared Package Library, if not now then at release. Forgive me if this has already changed - I'm assuming based on a thread I read that I can't find. It stated that there were three levels of users - trial users, who could browse only, registered users, who could browse and download, and registered users whose forum accounts had a certain number of posts, who could browse, download and upload.

I'm sure you're aware that post count is a bad way of differentiating people - I write scripts like there's no tomorrow, for example, but I rarely have reason to post something (usually because it's already been discussed and I can just look at someone else's thread).

Using people's post count as a measure of when they are allowed to upload to the editor encourages them to spam in order to gain access - which is obviously a very bad thing. Not only this, though, but it's keeping users from accessing a feature of their software. Fair enough if they abuse it - ban them from uploading (though if the ban applies to a specific forum account rather than a specific person, this might need rethinking. If this is how it works currently, someone with multiple accounts could continue abusing the system anyway) but don't prevent them from using this, which I think is one of the best features of CMUD, by default.

At the very least, please state exactly how many posts it takes rather than "a certain number".
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 am   

I don't know where you got this information, but post count has nothing to do with being able to upload. Anyone who bought CMUD can upload a package. Yes, they need to register to get a forum account because packages are tracked by this login and I wanted to consolidate logins and not have something separate. But it doesn't check your post count. If it's not letting you upload, then it's a bug or other problem.

But I'm not sure where you got this information. I don't ever remember saying that it was limited. There *is* a "guru" level that allows the forum gurus to moderate the package library, but that's the only special level of access.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:43 am   

I found the thread where I first read about the Shared Package Library being based on post count. It was this sticky written by yourself. I notice now that it was written almost a year ago, which is why the info might be a little out of date.

My new question about this is that the thread also mentions private, password-protected areas within the shared package library. Is it still intended for this to be available before release?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:25 am   

Ahh, ok, thanks for the link. I'll try to update that. But like you said, it was written quite a while ago, so the information is a bit out of date.

The private areas of the package library are not implemented yet and will be done early next year after the first public release. Signing up for a private area will have a monthly/yearly charge though, and I haven't yet determined what that charge will be. Only the person storing stuff in the private area will need to pay the charge. You will then be able to set up an access list to list the forum names of people who can access your private area (or leave it wide open to everyone if you want). But this feature is mainly for guilds who want to have their own scripts area.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:25 am   

Zugg wrote:
Ahh, ok, thanks for the link. I'll try to update that. But like you said, it was written quite a while ago, so the information is a bit out of date.

The private areas of the package library are not implemented yet and will be done early next year after the first public release. Signing up for a private area will have a monthly/yearly charge though, and I haven't yet determined what that charge will be. Only the person storing stuff in the private area will need to pay the charge. You will then be able to set up an access list to list the forum names of people who can access your private area (or leave it wide open to everyone if you want). But this feature is mainly for guilds who want to have their own scripts area.

Did this ever happen or did I miss it? It is halfway through 2009 and that was written in 2006.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:34 pm   

Not yet; priorities change, I guess.

Also, I love the quote "I rarely have reason to post something" from me, the second most-prolific user on these forums. Oh, those heady days, lost forever.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: