Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Haldrik
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:41 am   

[3.06] Mapper off, stilling using OTHER direction keywords.

Even when I turn the map off, when I use the keypad, other keywords randomly go off. I'll be runnin west, north, west, and I'll try to go east, and it will do "go gate" instead.

It seems like the mapper is still in "follow mode", even though im not in the correct spot, and its tracking while off, and when i happen to enter the correct direction combos that leads it to an other room, it activates that direction instead.

Has anyone ran into any experiences like this? Is there any way to remove "current pos" off the map? Even when its off.

Thanks
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:06 am   

Hmm, room scripts too.

I suspect that this is because the map window no longer actually tracks where you are, that's the map location objects, and they're still enabled.

I haven't tried mapping with multiple location objects, but i wonder how exactly zugg is handling that code. If mapping/follow is a function of the map location object, you could have 1 location disabled and 1 mapping? I'ld think that the mapping flag would better fit on the map.

Either way, It would be nice if the map off button was tied to the current tracking location object's enabled/disabled state.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Haldrik
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:53 am   

Agreed. I've found the map tracker to be touchy as well. Even with the map in follow mode sometimes it doesn't follow on the map but still does all the special movements.

I found a quick workaround though. I just created a single empty room and set the start location to it. I haven't had any problems since.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 pm   

I believe that having the mapper know about changes of location even when the mapper window is closed is a deliberate feature. The map database is still open even if the mapper window is closed, if you have the "Autoload on session start" box checked on the mapper object.
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 pm   

Yes, tracking locations is a very desirable feature, but i'm talking about when the map window open, the red x/tracks/pencil buttons that control the map off/follow/map mode.

Jeez... I'm assuming this has been around since 3.01, does this show how addicted we are to our maps?
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Haldrik
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:05 pm   

Yea Rahab, that is a good point. But when I specifically turn the mapper off via the red X?

Oh well :) Time to map some more to avoid some of these issues.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 pm   

One of the big changes in v3.x is separating the tracking locations from the visual map display. Just closing the map window does *not* turn off the follow mode of the tracking locations (as people have already mentioned).

Using the enable/disable state of the location object is a good idea and I've added that to the to-do list. Actually, I had already thought that this was handled, but apparently it slipped through the cracks.

Just remember when using the location tracking with the map window closed that it will be very difficult to determine if the tracking gets lost. If you don't have all of your #NODIR and other triggers set up, then you might not notice when the tracking gets lost and then it won't be responding to your directions properly.

And yes, you can even be in "map mode" with the map window closed, although this is not recommended. The Off/Follow/Map buttons in the map window are actually setting properties of the tracking location object and not the map window itself.
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 pm   

Kind of related to this..ish..
If I have no current room (For example I just deleted the room that was the current position, or did an unsuccessful "find"), and move in the mud, the map zooms to an odd location, and moves the directions I move as if there was an invisible set of rooms there..

Also, if I have no room selected in the mapper, and look at the exit list in the room properties, I see a load of strange exits in the list (but clicking on them doesn't display the details at the right..)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: