Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cthrek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:47 am   

Command Line lags

I recently upgraded from zMud to cMud, and for the most part I love it. One thing that's killing me, though, is that every time I enter a command that's 3 characters or longer, there's anywhere from a half-second to a full-second delay before it executes the command. During this delay, cMud does not display any text it receives from the mud and it seems pretty much locked up. I've had to make a whole bunch of 2-character aliases for certain commands that I repeat a lot to try to avoid this delay.

I'm running the Windows 7 Beta as my operating system, so I admit that it could have something to do with that. The mud is SWMud, but since the delay occurs before the command is echoed to my display, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the mud connection. I've tried running with the Debugger Window open, and nothing appears in there until after the delay has occurred.

Since this doesn't happen on commands of 1 or 2 characters, I suspect that it has something to do with the command line history. I reduced the number of commands to save in history to 10, which didn't have any effect. I've experimented with pretty much all of the options on the Command Line page of the Preferences window, but haven't found any way around this.

Any ideas on other settings or workarounds to eliminate this delay?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 am   

What version of CMUD are you running? Do you have any on input triggers? Do you have a lot of aliases? Do you mean zScript commands or commands you send to the mud? Is it all commands or just a particular set of commands?

Do you see this behavior in an untitled session?
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm   

I would guess that this is a result of whatever display component CMUD is using for the command line not being optimised for Windows 7 yet. CMUD probably won't be supported fully on Windows 7 at least until it's released.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:10 pm   

I can't imagine that this is caused by Windows 7. It sounds more like a command history problem as cthrek mentioned since only lines longer than 2 characters are stored in the history. But setting the history size should have solved that.

If you converted your settings file from zMUD, my guess is that there is something in the conversion that caused the problem. Try creating a fresh, blank session for your MUD and see if you still have the same problem. If it works in another session or on another MUD, then the problem is related to something in your scripts.

Officially, Fang is correct that I cannot support Windows 7 until it is released to the public (I don't have any special access to Microsoft beta, nor do I have time/patience to mess around with Microsoft betas). However, from what I know about Windows 7 already, this really doesn't sound like something the OS would cause.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 pm   

Windows 7 isn't all that different from Windows Vista except for a few minor changes, really, and most of those are on usability. I use it and don't have the problem described at all. My only complaint is the lag when executing scripts and not being able to input anything until afterwards. Oh well. :p

Charneus
cthrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am   

I'm using cMud version 2.37. I do have a few triggers and a large collection of aliases in zScript converted from zMud, however the delay occurs whether it's an aliased command or not as long as its three characters or more (even just three spaces) and I don't see any triggers being hit in the Debugger Window. Tried a fresh session for my mud and it still occurred.

I did have issues with a couple of my driver installations, and Windows is not performing as well on my machine as I would like it to. But everything else in cMud is working just fine, and 1 and 2 character commands perform great, so I guess I was hoping that there might be a setting I was overlooking in the preferences that might turn off whatever my computer's doing during that delay. Even setting the command history size down to 0 doesn't seem to help, though.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:56 pm   

Quote:
Tried a fresh session for my mud and it still occurred.

You need to try this in a *blank* session. If you use the Edit Session action and go to the Files/Pages tab, you will see that CMUD is still loading the same package from your other session (by default, sessions on the same MUD share the same package file). So you need to change this primary package name to something else to allow CMUD to create a new, BLANK package for the new session. Then test it.

It would also be useful for you to test it on a completely different MUD to see if it is MUD related somehow.

Finally, you could also take a look at this post: http://www.zuggsoft.com/kb/cmud_trouble_connect
and read about the Vista network issue at the bottom of that article. You might try executing that same "netsh" command to turn off autotuning in Windows 7 in case the Windows 7 network system is somehow causing lag with network packets. I doubt this will do anything, but it's about the only other thing I can think of.

But since Charneus isn't having the same problem on his Windows 7 system, I really doubt it's a Windows 7 issue. I still think it has something to do with your converted zMUD scripts somehow.
cthrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:31 pm   

Problem is fixed, had nothing whatsoever to do with cMud. Instead, was a BIOS issue on my computer... flashing to the latest BIOS fixed a number of problems on my computer, including this one. Now, cMud is performing wonderfully. Sorry for having posted this here, trying to treat a symptom rather than the cause.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: