Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
brennanyoung

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 am   

Mapper problems, crashes and usability gripes

I am quite new to cmud (with only a little experience with zmud also), and this is my first post.

I've been experiencing crashes when editing exits on the map. I open the properties of a room and try to relink an exit and then the app freezes hard with an Access Violation error. Sometimes I get the little 'continue?' dialog, but clicking the continue box does nothing, so I have to employ task manager to get any further. This seems to happen with some links rather than others, whether that means anything.

When I try to send a bug report from inside cmud (after a crash) it asks for my name and email address, but then I can't get any further. Is this intentional?

I also notice that I can't change the color of rooms in the map. Is this feature disabled on purpose?

Also, is there a way for rooms to get their title displayed automatically? Do I really have to right-click on every single room individually and choose 'middle' from the label submenu???? Can't I get the room label to be drawn in the middle by default?

How does 'merge rooms' work? I select two rooms, and then 'merge rooms'. Seems to do nothing.

Finally, I think the usability of the mapper takes a LOT to be desired. Ctrl-P often opens the print dialog (as it would with almost any other app) instead of the room properties box, and I miss other common features such as space+drag to scroll around the map. Using the scroll wheel to zoom the map is frankly a bizarre choice. There are many ill-considered design choices for what is (or will be) a commercial product. For example, I think it is poor usability design to display editing features when the map is locked. If a feature is not functional, it should be visibly disabled (grayed-out) or hidden.

But the crashing is a much more serious problem, and more than just irritating.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:43 am   

Which version of CMUD are you using? The mapper is currently being rewritten - 2.37 has the old mapper, the newest beta, 3.03 has a very different mapper, so it's important to know. Which version of Windows you're using helps, too. The crashes you were experiencing are hopefully gone in 3.03.

Rooms need to be stacked together to merge - you move two rooms on top of each other, and then Ctrl+G will merge all the rooms in the stack.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
brennanyoung

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 pm   

Yes, it is 2.37 - I downloaded it a couple of days ago. Should have mentioned the version. I am on XP.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:38 pm   

Quote:

For example, I think it is poor usability design to display editing features when the map is locked. If a feature is not functional, it should be visibly disabled (grayed-out) or hidden.

The 2.37 mapper is a direct, line-for-line port from ZMud, aside from minor changes here and there to avoid catastrophic Access Violations caused by the inherent incompatibility issues between CMud and the ZMud mapper. For example, when the mapper is docked you can't delete rooms or zoom the mapper with the scroll wheel.

Basically, for 2.37 and prior, the mapper is mostly just a placeholder while Zugg worked on the main scripting core.
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:13 am   

The mapper also has a lock feature. When you are in mapping mode it unlocks, and can be unlocked in follow mode by clicking on the lock icon in the toolbar or by script. This is to prevent accidental changes. It is likely you had it locked when you were trying to change the color of a room.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:08 pm   Re: Mapper problems, crashes and usability gripes

brennanyoung wrote:

I've been experiencing crashes when editing exits on the map. I open the properties of a room and try to relink an exit and then the app freezes hard with an Access Violation error. Sometimes I get the little 'continue?' dialog, but clicking the continue box does nothing, so I have to employ task manager to get any further. This seems to happen with some links rather than others, whether that means anything.

You might want to send this to Zugg with instructions on how to repeat it. This sounds specific to your configuration.

brennanyoung wrote:

When I try to send a bug report from inside cmud (after a crash) it asks for my name and email address, but then I can't get any further. Is this intentional?

Sometimes the first try to send fails, but if I retry the send bug report it goes through. I've no idea why, but I've seen a few other people mention it as well.

brennanyoung wrote:

I also notice that I can't change the color of rooms in the map. Is this feature disabled on purpose?

Only reason why it wouldn't change is if you had the map locked for changes. Make sure you are in edit mode and it should work.

brennanyoung wrote:

Also, is there a way for rooms to get their title displayed automatically? Do I really have to right-click on every single room individually and choose 'middle' from the label submenu???? Can't I get the room label to be drawn in the middle by default?

If you left click on rooms so that they are hilighted it shows the name at the bottom of the map.

brennanyoung wrote:

How does 'merge rooms' work? I select two rooms, and then 'merge rooms'. Seems to do nothing.

Place two room on top of each other in edit mode and choose merge rooms. It merges them into one.
brennanyoung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:54 pm   

Quote:
The mapper also has a lock feature. When you are in mapping mode it unlocks, and can be unlocked in follow mode by clicking on the lock icon in the toolbar or by script. This is to prevent accidental changes. It is likely you had it locked when you were trying to change the color of a room.

I can see a padlock icon, but when I click it, nothing happens. I am able to make all kinds of other changes, which implies that the map is not locked, but the room color is simply not available:

Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:17 pm   

Put the mouse just to the left of the Room Color text and a selection box will appear.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
brennanyoung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 pm   

Ok that worked - but gee whiz - an invisible/occult color picker? perhaps you will sympathise with my usability gripes!!!
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:50 pm   

As was said above, the mapper in 2.37 is a straight port of the mapper in zmud, with only the most minimal changes necessary to get it working. The problem described also existed in zmud, I believe (I think the default color was displaying as transparent, until changed, or something weird like that). The next version will have a complete update of the mapper, and has great new features. Work is in progress and looks good, except for the bugs you expect in a beta version.
zannai
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm   

Quote:

I've had the same issues you describe with 2.37, but with windows vista. I like to see up rooms and down rooms displayed on the same level, and to do that, I used to edit the map in spreadsheet view in zmud. Cant do it in 2.37.

I've attempted an upgrade to the beta 3.03, but the conversion of my map fails in the middle. I've sent the bug report with my email address, but have had no replies. I also have a post to see if there is a tool or a way to check the integrity of my map, in case it is corrupt. No replies yet. I don't mind sending in my map for debugging purposes, but again I haven't had any takers.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:36 pm   

Zannai you won't get a reply to your bug reports. They are, however, entered into a database that Zugg uses to help prioritize his work.

As for the failed import of the map earlier beta version failed if you had a zMapper modified map. So delete you *.dbm file (the mapper file format), get the latest beta and redo the import. It should work then. If it doesn't you should also send a copy of your map (and description of the problem) support@zuggsoft.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: