Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
taishar77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:28 am   

Problems with alias variables

Well I have tried for a while to try to figure this out so I am breaking down and asking about it. I have a MUD I play where some people use tells for ic and some for ooc. Most of us made an ooc alias for tells in zmud but I can't get the variables to read in cmud because of how they were changed? I am not sure I used to use alias otell %1 (ooc) %2 and now that no longer works. The ooc portion also has a color code attached but I figure I can worry about that later because it uses brackets {D {W etc.. for that MUD. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help me with this. I tried how I had it formatted above and it works minus it cuts off the actual tell so it's only picking up one word.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:33 pm   

The problem is probably that you are using %2 instead of %-2. The former grabs a single word, the latter will grab the second word and all the subsequent words. If you type the following at the command line, it should work:
Code:
#alias otell {%1 ~(ooc~) %-2}
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:33 pm   

The problem is probably that you are using %2 instead of %-2. The former grabs a single word, the latter will grab the second word and all the subsequent words. If you type the following at the command line, it should work:
Code:
#alias otell {%1 ~(ooc~) %-2}
zannai
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:44 pm   

Quote:
otell %1 (ooc) %2

to get more than 1 word add a - between % and 2

so you might have something like this for your alias- Where %1 is the character you're sending the tell to, and 2nd parameter is the message.

#alias otell tell %1 (ooc) %-2

so at a command line you would type: otell fred Hey w'sup?

That would send tell fred (ooc) Hey w'sup? to the mud.
taishar77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:49 pm   

zannai wrote:
Quote:
otell %1 (ooc) %2

to get more than 1 word add a - between % and 2

so you might have something like this for your alias- Where %1 is the character you're sending the tell to, and 2nd parameter is the message.

#alias otell tell %1 (ooc) %-2

so at a command line you would type: otell fred Hey w'sup?

That would send tell fred (ooc) Hey w'sup? to the mud.

Hello and thanks for the reply :) That works for the most part but cmud strips out the () on the ooc and when I go to add colorcode which is like {C({Dooc{D) {D it strips everything part of that out. Is there a way around it reading brackets as coding language? Zmud didn't but cmud does.. Thanks again.
calesta
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:15 pm   

When Rahab responded he put the ~ character in front of the (). The ~ character is the 'escape' character in CMUD which means to not process the next character as a special character. Add that in for the () and it should work fine.
taishar77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:37 pm   

calesta wrote:
When Rahab responded he put the ~ character in front of the (). The ~ character is the 'escape' character in CMUD which means to not process the next character as a special character. Add that in for the () and it should work fine.

Oh I got it now, thanks for clarifying that and it works perfectly now.

Thanks everyone for help on this :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: