Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
TerryG
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:23 am   

Cmud and OS

Does cmud run on iMac's? I'm getting one for christmas. If not can someone help me with what client works with iMac's.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:33 am   

No, CMUD doesn't work under Mac OSX. You could try emulating windows (or actually installing windows in a partition if you have an Intel processor), but that's not "running".

As for which clients work on Macs, I honestly have no idea. This might be a good place to start.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
TerryG
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:40 am   

OH dang someone help me please!
TerryG
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:43 am   

This is the Mac I'm getting and I really don't want to have to install XP. This will be my first Mac!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8844682&type=product&id=1208562365430
elektrisk
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:49 am   

I have two friends that use Macs to MUD. One uses Rapscallion, and the other uses MudWalker. Iirc Rapscallion is no longer supported.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 pm   

You could try run it using Darwine which apparently is a combination of Wine and qemu. The computer you consider to buy appears to have an Intel processor which means that Darwine should be able to skip running code through qemu and run the programs directly on the CPU.

Edit: As Darwine makes use of Wine it might very well have problems to run cMUD due to the copy protection system. Currently Wine seems unable to start cMUD/zMUD because of this. You probably want to look at some of the free Java MUD clients.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:01 pm   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
No, CMUD doesn't work under Mac OSX. You could try emulating windows (or actually installing windows in a partition if you have an Intel processor), but that's not "running".

Actually if you run software under Wine it is supposedly running it as a native process with a 3rd party implementation of the Win32 API. Of course it relies on the CPU to be compatible.

Consider what happen if you make an application that does this:
1. Create new thread.
2. In that thread: load .exe image into memory.
3. In that thread: Perform an assembly jump into the loaded process. The CPU would start execute the loaded image's code. That is this thread from now on act as thread for the loaded program.

If you then also provide linkage to fake Win32 API the loaded process would call your own functions. The interesting thing is that the scheduler of the host operating system would probably make it run just like any other application in the system. The CPU is then definitely executing its code for real.

The funny thing is that this is what a kernel does. When running an application it would load it from file, create a new thread for it to run in and then mark it as ready to be executed by the scheduler. The benefit with what I suggest above is you wouldn't have to worry too much about file system implementation, drivers, and hardware. The host operating system would already have many of those implemented.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:34 pm   

Yeah, but if you want to technical, wine isn't an emulator. The clue's in the name :P

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:55 pm   

I have a MacBook Pro that I use all the time. The new Intel-based Macs come with something called BootCamp. It allows you to install multiple operating systems (like Windows and/or Linux) to your Mac. Then you can either boot into Mac OS or boot into Windows. This still requires that you have a real Windows XP CD so that you can install Windows on it.

Then you can get VMWare Fusion for the Mac and it will allow you to run and access Windows applications that are installed on your Windows partition within Mac OSX. So within OSX you can have CMUD running in a window and it works just like it was running on Windows. I also use this to run a bunch of other Windows software on my MacBook Pro. And because the iMac is Intel-based, this is running in Native mode and is just about as fast as running within Windows itself.

In fact, running Windows applications in VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro is faster than they run on my main Vista machine (I have XP on my MacBook).

Yes, it requires that you buy a real copy of Windows XP and that you buy VMWare Fusion. So it's not a free solution, but I found that the speed and reliability of this solution was better than running in any "emulator".
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:23 pm   

Zugg wrote:

Yes, it requires that you buy a real copy of Windows XP and that you buy VMWare Fusion. So it's not a free solution, but I found that the speed and reliability of this solution was better than running in any "emulator".

Wine lacks a lot still but it has improved amazingly in the last few versions. For example you can definitely play Warcraft 3 using it without noticing any slowdowns, because it is executing it natively. Oblivion works on Linux "somewhat" using Wine. You might want to take a look at Wine again if you haven't lately. Apparently you can run Delphi 7 using it, but there's a lot of applications that still don't work.
TerryG
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 pm   

wow a load of help here and all this morning I whined and cried to my husband. He was made that I knew what he got me. He was able to return it and told me to pick out what I want so I did. I orded an Aurora Alienware fully loaded PC. Now I can still use my CMUD which I'm so thrilled about!

I could not even attempt to try anything else because I'm not very tech savvy. In fact I have a hard time configuring my file how I want it to work. I suppose that will be other post for people to help me with. I'll wait until after Christmas and on my brand new Gaming PC.

I still think this is a valuable thread because other's might be having the same problem. If I was tech savvy I wouldn't have spoke up to my husband.

Zugg, a special thank you for a very nice product!!!! I just want to learn how to use it to it's full potential.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:03 pm   

Wow, nice Christmas present!
TerryG
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:22 pm   

Thank you Zugg, I am just lucky that my husband doesn't know anything about computers. The only question he asked me is "Is Alienware a good company". *giggle* I didn't get the top of the line but oh well. I'm just out right happy that I can use Cmud!

Again, you have a very nice product. I haven't had one problem with it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:23 pm   

Rofl! I've had two Alienware machines in the distant past that I was very happy with. You don't really need the "top of the line" since the price goes through the roof at the high end for very little extra performance. In the past few years I've been building my own systems because my budget has been a lot tighter. But I still recommend Alienware to my friends. I hope you get a lot of fun games to "test" the computer during Christmas.

Not that you should get distracted from playing MUDs of course ;)
TerryG
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:32 pm   

Rofl! I play everdark mud and a few other role type playing games that I haven't played in a while. I plan on installing them to check it out.

I got the Aurora but upgraded the memory and processor. I built my ultimate PC online and it came to 5 grand so I had to really do my homework and find one that I can smile about.

My pc now I built myself but it's almost 6 years old so it's accient. *lol* My hub tried, he really thought the iMac was the best out there, but after I cried to him and explained that isn't true...I got my way. Yes us females are good at that. *bats eyelashes* I basically told him that the Alienware is the Mustang Cobra SVT 10th annver. edition (we own) and the iMac is the acura. He understood right then and there.

Zugg you want the Mesh Cap that Alienware is sending me? *egrin*

*waves* You're a charm!
Caerlwdd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:14 am   

TerryG wrote:
I basically told him that the Alienware is the Mustang Cobra SVT 10th annver. edition (we own) and the iMac is the acura. He understood right then and there.

Pft, yeah, because, you know, those iMacs are so 1998. Rolling Eyes That's why I've got a Macbook pro. Confused Really, though- that's a terrible analogy. I'm starting to think you've never used a mac before.

Anyway, hey Zugg- I'm sure you hear this a lot but why not just build a native mac client? Wouldn't that make you a killing off of all the mac users looking for a good client that they don't have to sacrifice functionality for or have to jump through hoops to get working? Hell, I'd buy it. :P I know manipulation of scripts and language is probably easier on a PC to a degree, but I bet you could make something incredible out of what apple's got at its disposal. Very Happy
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:19 am   

I'm sure Zugg wouldn't mind doing a Mac client (if it were possible). zMUD and cMUD are built in Delphi and it's not available for the Mac OS. Crying or Very sad

You can always sign the Delphi for Mac OS petition.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:47 am   

^ I'd love to. But surely there has to be something out there that's a mac equivalent in power and capability as delphi, even if it isn't exactly the same. :/
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:59 am   

It's not really just about Delphi itself, though. CMud's kinda like %10 out of the box Delphi, %40 third-party components (most/all of which don't have mac equivalents at all or that do what Zugg needs them to do), and %70 Zugg-specific rewrites to make the other two work better or to fix the existing features that various third-party controls say they are supposed to have.

Without all the ingredients, CMud falls pretty flat thanks to phenomenal successes like Zuggsoft.com.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:51 am   

MattLofton wrote:
(most/all of which don't have mac equivalents at all or that do what Zugg needs them to do)

I really can't help but be skeptical of that statement. Really, the differences aren't that incredibly major that you can't find equivalents for both platforms that someone hasn't made already. They exist, it defies logic if they don't. It's like checkers and chinese checkers- sure, the rules are a little different and the pieces are not quite shaped the same way, but it's still checkers in the end.
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:14 pm   

Quote:
I really can't help but be skeptical of that statement.

PCs have the biggest market share. This is changing, but not fast enough. Most application development is done for PC in a windows environment. Most 3rd party utilities are written for PCs.

Even if you want to dispute that point, the question still has to be, how long will it take Zugg all by himself to learn a completely new programing language for a platform he's only vaguely familiar with, how long will it take to track down 3rd party components for Mac if they even exist, and what is he not getting done in the mean time.

CMUD took 2 years of serious nose to the grindstone, and that was a platform and tools he already knew pretty well.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:25 pm   

I did some more digging around after my last post and came across Lazarus and Free Pascal... With that said most us PC users want Zugg developing the all the new goodness he's got in the works and not trying to set up a new dev environment or get distracted porting/maintaining different code bases... It is a one developer shop after all.

I'm not saying it'll never happen, just unlikely and not for the foreseeable future.

So basically what Chiara said.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:59 pm   

CMUD is over 1.5 MILLION lines of code. It is written in Object-Oriented Pascal. The Lazarus project mentioned by Tech is coming close to having the same language syntax, but as MattLofton mentioned, CMUD makes heavy use of 3rd party components. Specifically the Developer Express component suite. This component suite is a set of "VCL" components, so Lazarus would need to have fully compatible VCL support, which is doesn't.

Rewriting 1.5 million lines of code into a completely different language would be a huge job...probably at least a year. So as a business decision, it just doesn't make any sense. That would mean ignoring my existing PC customers for over a year, with the hope that I'd get a huge number of new Mac customers? That just isn't going to happen. I love Macs...I use a MacBook Pro (running Windows) myself. But as a single-person developer, I have to focus on the jobs that best serve all of my customers, and conversion to Mac or Linux is not the best use of my time.

Sorry, but never going to happen.

So basically what Chiara said. ;)
TerryG
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 pm   

Question? I no longer have my zmud installed on my new PC so how do I import a my text file into Cmud?

NEVERMIND...I got it but don't know how but I did it. Works great. I'm so happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: