Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
symposes
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:14 am   

Cmud Text Editor

I have recently switched from Zmud to Cmud and I have a question about the Cmud text editor.

Is there a way to make it behave, window wise, like the Zmud text editor?

ie make it not stay on top (I cannot find any kind of ontop setting for this anywhere)
or perhaps make the esc issue the hide command you get when you right click the bar at the top, like Zmud did.

Aside from that, is there a way to change keyboard shortcuts so when i ctrl+shift+enter to send, it wont close my document out?

my old habits from the years of Zmud text editing are hurting me here Embarassed
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:06 pm   

The Ctrl-Shift-Enter should work the same in CMUD that it did in zMUD. The idea is that on the normal CMUD command line you press Ctrl-Shift-Enter to open the editor, then type your multiline commands into the editor, then press Ctrl-Shift-Enter to send the commands and close the editor. So that isn't going to change. If you want to send the text without closing the editor, you need to just click the Send button.

When the window is closed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, it doesn't lose it's contents. So essentially this is just hiding the window. It doesn't "close your document". But no, there isn't any way to change this keyboard shortcut right now.

The Editor window in CMUD is dockable. All dockable windows always stay on top of the main application window, similar to how dockable toolbars always stay on top. This prevents the window from getting hidden behind the main window where it isn't accessible. There really isn't any good reason to have the editor window open and displayed behind the main window. If the window isn't visible, then it might as well be closed or minimized. Unfortunately, the way in which the stay-on-top works for dockable windows is controlled by the window docking system used in CMUD and there is no way to change that.

I understand that you have old habits. But CMUD is not an upgrade from zMUD...it's a completely new program that is mostly compatible with zMUD. So there are going to be many things that will change and you'll need to learn some new habits. zMUD did a lot of low-level messing with how windows worked, which made it incompatible with many 3rd party Windows enhancements, and made it have problems with Vista. CMUD is much more "Windows compliant" which means that tricks like pressing ESC to close a window just don't work anymore (because that's not a Window standard).
symposes
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:26 pm   

I do know, if i have 2 documents open, and ctrl+shift+enter send from one of them, it will close the one that was opened.

What i mean is, i open the editor, then click load, and load my document.

now i have 2 tabs, one labeled Untitled and a second one labeled with the name of the document. when i ctrl+shift+enter from there it actually does close the second tab, without saving, so if i didnt save first, ill lose the changes made.

If i open the editor and begin typing, then hit ctrl+shift+enter it doesnt close what i was working on.

maybe that is a better explination?
symposes
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:35 pm   

I found an example within Cmud of using esc to close a window.

The Settings Editor. well Package Editor, also the Sessions window/box does it, when you first open the program and it lists all the connections you have.

If i hit esc while mucking around in it, it hides/closes it.

Was this something you had to program to do this, or are these windows not part of that docking thing you mentioned?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:50 pm   

The Settings Editor is not a dockable window, which is why ESC works. The text editor *is* a dockable window, so ESC doesn't work.

I will try your suggestion about opening multiple documents and then test ctrl-shift-enter to see if I can reproduce your problem. I think it will close whatever tab you have currently selected rather than just closing the editor window. And I agree that isn't what you'd want it to do. Anyway, I've added it to the bug list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: