Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
hyphz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:06 pm   

Trying to adapt mapper - does it have to be auto?

Hi folks,

I've been trying to adapt the mapper to Federation II. Federation II is incredibly generous with mapping info, and will give the internal dbref of every room, its name, and its exits as other dbrefs, in XML format if it is asked to. (It'll actually give even more but there's a part of its protocol that I can't figure out yet.)

Unfortunately it seems the automapper is unable to handle this and even using a #TAG, I can't simply write the exit records into CMud's DB, I have to depend on it detecting the exits itself even though there is no need to.

Is it possible to simply write a room record straight into the DB without any "auto" involved in the mapping?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:58 pm   

This will become more simple in future versions (the 3.xx versions are part of a complete mapper rewrite) but for now, is very difficult and would require using COM to access the database outside CMUD. And you'd need to rewrite it all when you upgraded to 3.01 anyway.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:55 pm   

#TAG should be working fine to override the mapper. Just be sure that you are Tagging everything, especially the room exits and the MUD prompt. When the mapper sees your MUD prompt tag then it should generate a map based upon your other tag values. Post some specific examples of text from the MUD and we can help you more. But #TAG is the correct way to override the "auto".

There are no plans to allow you to modify the map database directly. That requires too many low-level database structure details that could change in future versions, and changing the map database doesn't allow the internal memory cache of the map to be updated. The COM-based mapper scripting available via CMUDPro or zMapper allows you to do some lower level map manipulation. But you should try to get #TAG working first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: