Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:56 pm   

Can't remember what I did to make this work before...

I had an alias called 'calc' that would perform calculations without all the extra typing. I could type or paste an expression, and it would calculate it properly. I had it in lua because that is a better engine to calculate things with, considering it'll do floating points without the need for %float... Here is what I have now.

print(zs.params())

The problem with that is it prints it as the string, so calc 3*3 returns 3*3, not 9.

Then I tried

#LUA {print(%params)}

It evaluates simple things, such as 3*3, but throw in something like (3*3)/(3*6), then it just returns 0, whereas print((3*3)/(3*6)) will return the proper 0.5 result.

I know I used to be able to do things like that with no problems, so I'm not sure why it's not working now. I had lost my scripts when my computer crashed, so that was no fun. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charneus
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:24 am   

The trouble you're having is that %params and zs.params return a string, which print() then prints without parsing. To get it to parse, you'd have to do something pretty weird, probably something like assert(loadstring("print("..zs.params()..")"))(). Pretty convoluted, I know.

Tbh, though, if all you want to do is maths on the command line, put the command line in Lua mode and write the print(3*3) yourself, it'll probably be less hassle.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 am   

Heh. Not sure how I got it to work previously without that convolution you speak about.

The reason I don't want to put the command in lua mode and just type it out myself is because it'd be more of a hassle when I have to switch back and forth, and also when I'm running scripts, I can't rightly do that. I'll try your suggestion, though... Thanks. :)

Edit: The suggestion did not work... :\

Charneus
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:14 pm   

All I did to get it to work was open CMUD, press Esc, press Ctrl+' and then enter print(3*3) on the command line. That put 9 on the screen.

And if you weren't using the keyboard shortcut already (it might be Ctrl+` on your keyboard), you should. It's a lot less hassle.

EDIT: Oh, you meant the other thing. Checking that now.

EDIT2: Working fine for me:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<cmud>
  <alias name="test" copy="yes">
    <value>assert(loadstring("print("..zs.params()..")"))()</value>
  </alias>
</cmud>

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:27 pm   

Had to change it to lua in order to get yours to work at all. Didn't copy the lua part, apparently.

Regardless, yes, it works for simple things like 3*3, but throw in (3*3)/(3*6), that returns (incorrectly) 0. I remember that what I had prior was MUCH simpler than what you've provided, simply because I don't know lua all that well yet and wouldn't have even come up with your suggestion. :\

Charneus
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: