Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ithilion
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:06 am   

generic rant about #save

Everytime I get an access violation.. #save doesnt [i cant control my vocabulary here] do what it says..

It seems I have to redo everything over and over and over due to tooooo many access violations.. I'm nowhere close to a newb when it comes to computers.. but this is seriously pissing me off

To reiterate:
I get an access violation - I end up ctrl-alt-del'ing out.. At least make #save do what it says it does.. :/
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:25 am   

I wasn't aware of any problems with #SAVE. I would suggest that getting freqent AV errors is due to corrupted settings files. You should try using the instructions from Migration Guide to correct that.
Ithilion
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:32 am   

it's all been new fresh (re, sometimes) clean installs of 7.21.. they always end up being corrupted at points.. I really do not get it.. i do not do anything to ruin anything else anymore..
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:16 pm   

An "access violation" means that memory has gotten corrupted. The #SAVE command simply dumps memory from zMUD to your *.MUD file. Therefore, if you use #SAVE after an "access violation", you are likely dumping corrupted memory data into your *.MUD file, which will make your session corrupted. You should *never* use #SAVE after an access violation. Also, if you have the Auto-Save option enabled, then your settings can be corrupted if there is a memory error when you exit zMUD and the auto-save writes the corrupted data to your MUD file.

Unfortunately, that is just how zMUD works. This was completely changed in CMUD. CMUD uses a protected database file for your settings, so CMUD will never overwrite your settings with garbage, even after an access violation. And because CMUD uses the standard SQLite database format for it's settings files, you can always recover your scripts with 3rd party tools even if CMUD can't open it somehow. Also, CMUD automatically saves your data all the time, so you never need to manually use the #SAVE command anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: