Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zortek
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:40 pm   

[2.33 Pro] Cosmetics (low priority) [ed RESOLVED]

Z,

I presume you know about many of these for Pro...

What I've found so far,

Package Editor Window:
Text formatting is somewhat messy-- titles spill over (Name:, Caption, Position, relative to:) and (List of packages enabled for this wind) <---wind truncates
Host: Port: Colon touches entry box
Options/XML - Tab behavior is different when clicking between the two options gets an added dotted border added, XML doesn't.
Toward the bottom right (Convert to Module) spills out top and bottom of button.

Preferences Module: --odd dot at the top of the screen under the "M" for module seems to be a handle that pulls out "Bold... options"
Scripting->Special Characters -- (general spacing/centering)
Scripting->Slow Walking -- Timeout value window too small
Network->Proxy server -- Titles bleed over, port blocks too small
Network->DNS Lookup -- Titles bleed over
Style -- Global Styles too thin and not dynamicly adjustable (width), titles bleed over
ANSI Colour->Foreground Colours -- Reverse Bright/Dim and Set Colours to Default Spillage
ANSI Colour->Colour Syntax -- Titles bleed over. And just an artistic suggestion ... lift the words in line with the color dots and entry blocks to the left and stretch the "syntax" boxes to a common length that exceeds the longest word length to visually balance the content... seems nit picky, but you've gone to effort to give this color window visual appeal it would please the eye to finish the pallet.
Sounds -- Titles bleed over
MSP->MSP Sounds -- Titles bleed over, font seems kerned too tightly
Simutronics->General GSL -- Blocks slightly too tight to titles, content aligned to tight to left
Simutronics->Colors -- It's been a while since I logged into my lvl 99 Gemstone Sorcerer :P, but I'm defaulting to 3 black boxes...this doesn't seem appropriate for defaults. (any other opinions?)
Simutronics->Variables -- Titles bleed over, general spacing, font kerning seems cramped
SSH->General -- Check marcks centered up or sized to fit, "Generate Keys" spills out of button
SSH->Algorithims -- Artistic AND MARKETING Opinion, the boxes just feel too small for the size of the window and the content. Resize and balance to content and available space. Use your full pallet. I understand that this section is as much a frontloading exercise for TeSSH as anything else. I'm fairly certain that even the most diehard fanbois can't recite half this list even under threat of torture. I suppose my point is...this is one of your opportunities to SHINE...to SIZZLE...to get in the face of your customer and when they see the screen shot of this window...and say... "Wow... Hey, Joe(Jane)...Look what this can do!"

Z.

Last edited by Zortek on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:37 pm   

I think you need to post some screenshots so that I can see what you are talking about. I'm not seeing the issues that you mentioned.

Also, tell me what version of Windows you are using, and what your system font settings are set to. Also, check your Font DPI setting in your Video settings. CMUD does not scale properly to higher DPI settings, so it is only supported with the default 96 DPI setting for now. Sounds like you either have a higher DPI setting or a different font than the Windows default.
Xarsas
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:43 pm   

or perphaps using windows blinds or something similar?
Zortek
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:22 pm   

Zugg wrote:
I think you need to post some screenshots so that I can see what you are talking about. I'm not seeing the issues that you mentioned.

Also, tell me what version of Windows you are using, and what your system font settings are set to. Also, check your Font DPI setting in your Video settings. CMUD does not scale properly to higher DPI settings, so it is only supported with the default 96 DPI setting for now. Sounds like you either have a higher DPI setting or a different font than the Windows default.

System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 - No Window Blinds or mods - 1600 x 1200 res with standard settings except for Clear Type.

[edit] Pulled the Screen Shots and gonna try to send them to you in a PM or Email.

Z.
Zortek
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:22 pm   Solution Found

It was a DPI issue. Default configuration for this workstation is 120 DPI. I've flipped it and made note. I've checked a few others, including some of our dual DVI 3200x1200 monsters and they are also 120 so it was a good find all round.

Z.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:07 pm   

OK, thanks for letting me know. I was worried that the old bugs with handling system fonts had returned somehow.

Yeah, CMUD doesn't support 120 DPI yet. It's a general problem with Delphi applications...forms don't scale properly with the DPI setting, so the fonts get larger but the components on the forms can't move around to accommodate the increased font size. It's something I hope to improve in the future, but it's a low priority right now, sorry.
Zortek
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm   

No worries, all but our token misanthrope is cheering the greater desktop geography for one of our geoscience apps (but we figure he'd probably boo-hoo a winning lottery ticket, too). Even our myopic elder is on board! It's funny how this slipped by so many techheads. There's a silver lining on every cloud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: