Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:48 pm   

Issue & Suggestion

I've been having a regular problem with the mapper (now in both zmud & cmud). I've left off mapping an area, and come back to finish it, and the automapper doesn't properly recognize or connect rooms that I already mapped. I've reconfigured the auto-detector as well as reloading maps, zmud/cmud etc. While there is the merge function built into the mapper, having to use it for most of the rooms I've already mapped is tedious and annoying. Any suggestions for dealing with this issue are welcome! (this also causes issues in the follow mode when I want to trace rooms)

Suggestion: Having regularly needed to merge rooms in the mapper I've tried to use the short-cut key for merge rooms from the main screen. But the shortcut overlaps with main-screen shortcuts (opens the editor screen)...lots of shortcut combos have NOT been used (like alt-letter or ctr-alt letter), seems to me that it would be sigficantly more useful if the shortcuts worked across the board (i.e. I could merge the room in the main screen)...also, not to have short-cuts repeated to avoid opening the WRONG thing.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:56 am   

The shortcut thing is a CMUD problem and related to the mapper not understanding the docking system (it's a direct port from zMUD). It'll be fixed in the future - for now, undocking the mapper should help.

As for rooms not being detected properly, do your room descriptions or names change? Even if they don't, check the room name and description the mapper has down and make sure it hasn't captured something that's not part of the description, like items or players in the room.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
pelonza
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:31 pm   

The items or players may be part of the issue. How does one get zmud/cmud to ignore 'extra' lines (of stuff) between the exits and the command prompt? Like many muds I've been in mine just lists players/items after a multiline (possibly) set of exits, then gives the prompt. While I still have issues otherwise, I seem to have MORE issues with this specific case.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:07 pm   

The first thing to try would be to adjust your mapper configuration. Read through the documentation for configuring the mapper. Does your mud have a line for exits? Does the exits line come between the room description and the room contents? If so, and your configuration can be set up to correctly identify the exits line, you shouldn't have a problem with room contents accidentally getting into the room description.

If the problem is that the room description changes, say because of lighting or time of day, then there are other options. One is to turn off matching on room description, and rely on room name. Other possibilities will depend on exactly what your mud displays for rooms. But it all comes down to configuring your mapper to work best with your mud.

When you find a room that the mapper isn't automatically recognizing, have you compared what your mud displays with the room description in the mapper?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: