Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
gaelyia

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:35 pm   

zMUD not opening at all in Vista?

I've recently gotten rid of my old computer, where I have run zMUD for about 3 or 4 years on Win XP without any problems. I am now using my husband's computer, which runs on Vista, which I am not very familiar with.

I have tried downloading zMUD 7.21 and installing it on this computer, which seemed to work ok, but when I try to actually open zMUD, I get Windows error immediately, saying that the program has stopped working. zMUD never opens up at all.

I have tried editing the file's compatibility to run the file as administrator, as I was advised to do, but this changes nothing at all, zMUD still won't open.

I have tried uninstalling zMUD and then re-downloading and re-installing it fresh, but that doesn't change anything either.

I am aware that zMUD isn't supported in Vista, and that cMUD is the recommended program to use, but I really don't want to change to cMUD right now, and I do know other people who play the game that I play using zMUD and Vista without any problems, so I am hoping I can eventually get this working.

I wonder if any of you have advice for me, or have had similar problems? The problem I have is not the same as the one in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!

- Jen
Synex

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:44 am   

right click on the exe and select "run as admin"
gaelyia

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:41 am   

I have already tried that, and mentioned in my original post that doing that didn't work. It won't run as admin, whether I try it individually each time I attempt it, or whether I change the setting permanently.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:55 am   

What does the error say exactly? And when you uninstalled it, did you also delete the zMUD folder? A lot of times, it uninstalls the program, but not all associated files. This tends to create problems.

When you install it, are you installing it as an admin? Does the computer have any programs that may block zMUD from running? Sometimes anti-virus programs may produce what you're describing.

Another thing to do is look at the event log for Windows. Not sure how to find it in Vista, but I'm sure you can google it and find the answer.

Have you also tried running it in safe mode? Just some more suggestions for you.

Charneus
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: