Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:34 am   

Cmud not working

Hello
I tried to start Cmud,but I am gettinga "buffer" error. Any ideas?
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:19 am   

What is the message exactly?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 am   

And which version of CMUD, and which version of windows?

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:15 pm   

The message is exactly that :

"buffer error" followed by "database locked"

CMud latest stable version and Windows XP
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:27 pm   

Has it ever worked for you? Is this a new installation?

If it is a new install you might try re-downloading the installer and reinstalling Cmud.
Finally delete your Cmud install and Games directories and reinstalling with the new installer.

If it has worked in the past at what point is it dieing?
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:46 pm   

It has worked before.
I stopped playing Muds for a few month and I restarted using(trying to) CMUD yesterday and that is when those errors came in
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:54 pm   

And now I can't even install Cmud.Something about database being locked or charb not existing
Anyone could help me please?
Any staff able to answer error reports?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:29 am   

1. Shut down your computer. Walk away for a bit, yell at the cat or something. You may now turn your computer back on. By your description, one or more databases became locked open. If this problems reoccurs then you likely have a software conflict and we would need to know what you have installed recently.

2. Uninstall CMud using the start menu shortcut. Since you also posted in the zMud forums, and stated a similar problem there, I would suggest uninstalling zMud as well at this time. The only way that both programs share any files is if you have them installed to the same folder. CMud will then copy some of the zMud files for its use on its first launch. After that they remain seperate.

3. Navigate to the folder in which you installed CMud, a default path in the installer is "C:\Program Files\CMud". Delete the folder and its entire contents. Repeat the same with zMud.

This step will eliminate any files damaged by whatever caused this problem. It will also destroy any and all data you had for settings or characters. Since you mentioned you hadn't played in a while in your other topic it is possible you may have other backups. Should you want to try to save some specific settings files move them to a new location so that you may test importing them after you have a working installation.

4. Install CMud. Completion of this step should have you back up and running. If it doesn't run properly directly from the installer then we know there is a software conflict, and you will be the first to have ever found it. That would mean that it will take some time to diagnose, and I hope you are willing to help all of us get to know the cause.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:33 am   

Go into your Cmud Games folder and copy your packages into another folder somewhere outside of your cmud games folder.

Then uninstall Cmud if the installer will allow you to.

Either way when you are done delete your cmud games folder and your cmud program folder from the program files directory.

Reboot your computer and attempt to reinstall Cmud. If you were able to delete the folders then it should work this time.

Once you have ran Cmud and proven that it works try pasting your packages back into the cmud games directory.
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:09 am   

Already deleted and reinstalled clean copies for the past 2-3 days with the same results
Vijilante,I am more than willing to help,however for that to happen, a technician who is able to modify the CMUD(Zmud) files 24/7 needs to be available.
And also,something more than reinstall a clean copy is needed.
Sorry if I sound mad,but Zmud and CMud are the only programs which seem not to work.
All other game clients,MudMagic and other programs work without problems.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:28 pm   

Nether Vijilante nor I nor anyone else but Zugg and his wife are employees of Zuggsoft.
Zugg is the owner of Zuggsoft and the coder of Z and C mud. Not to mention all the other Zuggsoft products.

Zugg just had eye surgery a few days ago and his wife is not technically inclined.

We who frequent the forums help for free and we are users with varying degrees of programming proficiency.
We do not have access to the inner workings of C or Z mud.

Vijilante is the closest thing to Zugg we have so far as knowing how things work. If he wants to help then I would suggest helping him do so.

Or you can wait until Zugg is able to help you. I'm sorry you aren't able to use C or Z mud. I've already given my two cents worth of advice and it didn't help...
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:17 am   

I appreciate Arminas
Thank you.
And I already did the steps Vijilante suggested each time I reinstalled and not working.
I guess,I will have to wait for Zugg to get back
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:18 am   

Vijilante wrote:
1. Shut down your computer. Walk away for a bit, yell at the cat or something. You may now turn your computer back on. By your description, one or more databases became locked open. If this problems reoccurs then you likely have a software conflict and we would need to know what you have installed recently.

2. Uninstall CMud using the start menu shortcut. Since you also posted in the zMud forums, and stated a similar problem there, I would suggest uninstalling zMud as well at this time. The only way that both programs share any files is if you have them installed to the same folder. CMud will then copy some of the zMud files for its use on its first launch. After that they remain seperate.

3. Navigate to the folder in which you installed CMud, a default path in the installer is "C:\Program Files\CMud". Delete the folder and its entire contents. Repeat the same with zMud.

This step will eliminate any files damaged by whatever caused this problem. It will also destroy any and all data you had for settings or characters. Since you mentioned you hadn't played in a while in your other topic it is possible you may have other backups. Should you want to try to save some specific settings files move them to a new location so that you may test importing them after you have a working installation.

4. Install CMud. Completion of this step should have you back up and running. If it doesn't run properly directly from the installer then we know there is a software conflict, and you will be the first to have ever found it. That would mean that it will take some time to diagnose, and I hope you are willing to help all of us get to know the cause.

I did the steps you suggested each time I reinstalled a clean copy for the past few days.Still nothing.
Thanks for trying to help
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:26 am   

Something Vijilante left out of his instructions is the Cmud Games directory.

By default it is placed into your My Documents/My Games/Cmud. For a clean uninstall you also need to delete this folder. I mentioned it above but I did not give the path.
It is unclear weather you have been deleting this directory or not from the above posts. So if you have NOT been doing so try everything Vijilante suggested above with the added step of deleting this folder as well.

That is the folder that holds your saved data so instead of deleting it you could optionally rename it to cmud.old
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:14 am   

Can you give an exact error message and a list of everything you did starting from the install, for example
Install CMud
Allowed it to launch from installer
Splash screen displayed and I yelled at the cat.
Error box popped up saying "The cat is rubbing your legs because he wants fresh water."

If we are going to figure this out we really have to start with knowing exactly when the error pops up and every scrap of information you can provide may be useful. If you were to report back with list of things above then my immediate questions would be "What was the last step the splash screen said it was doing?", "Did the splash screen go away before the error box appeared?", and "Did the sessions window ever appear?" That middle question is to make sure something wasn't left out, and that detail might be important.

I really will need that kind of detail to try to guess at what is going wrong.
avguste
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:23 am   

Ok.
After fixing Zmud(please check the appropriate thread), i redownloaded Cmud as a clean install.
The splash screen appears, initialization begins and then I am getting a "buffer" error. If I click on "continue application",I am getting a "SQL error"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: