Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
fcbarnard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:55 am   

Transfer of all zmud config between computers

Hi

I want to transfer all the Zmud configuration (alias'es, triggers, variables etc.) from my laptop to my desktop computer. I am giving up my laptop and want to know what is the easiest way to do that and still keep all my configuration. Any ideas?
Progonoi
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:17 am   

I usually tend to transfer data back and forth by using some external memory device, some little sized external usb drive for instance.

Basically you have to transfer the .mud file, I guess the .mud_bak or something too (thats the backup of the mud file) and then any .lay files you might have saved. General lay file saves the main window data and uses *I think* the same name your session does (and same name your .mud file has). In case you have any internal sub-windows, those will have different names (ones you've given them yourself) but the same .lay extension.

Group all those files up, save them to an external hdd or as I said, usb memory device, then insert it to PC or laptop and put them into your Zmud folder.

I hope this helps and thats what you meant.

Prog

--------------------------------
Intel Core i5-650 3,2GHz
4 DD3 RAM
GTX 460 768MB
Win 7 Home Premium 64x
--------------------------------
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:10 am   

Basically, copy the D:\zMUD\YourMUD'sName directory to the new computer, where D: is the drive you installed zMUD on.

Beware however that the .mud file is a memory dump and in some cases won't work correctly on the new computer - if this happens, you'll need to export your scripts to .txt and then reimport, and the .txt export isn't perfect and can sometimes get things wrong.

This is one thing that zMUD doesn't do very well, compared to how well it does other things, I'm afraid.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Leyline
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 am   

This is a shame,
I remember when I used to move my mud file back and forth all the time,
I didn't know it was now a memory dump....

I guess the good ole tintin++ on unix was great because all your alias' and triggers were stored in a flat text file.
Like when you type #alias
or #trigger.
You could move them and edit them easily )

Instead of picking a folder and export, can we just do #alias, and then save the buffer to a file?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm   

It's not "now" a memory dump, it always was a memory dump. It's long been acknowledged that it's a pants way to save settings, but it was an epic task to change it, so it only happened in CMUD.

I'm not sure what you mean by "doing #alias and saving the buffer" - if you mean entering it on the command line, of course you can copy the contents of the command line and paste them anywhere you like, even if you've entered other commands since the ones you want to save (by pressing the up key to recall the previous command(s)).

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Leyline
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:49 pm   

I mean if on the command line I enter
#alias

and then in the output window all(?) of my alias' appear
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:56 pm   

You could do that, then copy and paste them... but thats bass ackwards lol, you STILL would have to paste them to a text file to effect a transfer. So why not just export?
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:37 pm   

Like he said earlier sometimes export misses things.
I noticed if I have a class folder highlighted or the dropdown set wrong it will only export alias'
or variables
I don't know if it's all user interaction that dictates completeness,
but I just wanted to know I got all I see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: