Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Posideon
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:41 am   

Mapper causing huge delay

I have my mapper and rooms mapped and everything. There is a huge forest which is the main area which all areas lead off off. There are about eight different descriptions for these rooms, and they change every time the mud reboots. So I have the mapper configured to room desc changes and I have my speedwalking set to fast walking so it just moves and doesn't wait for anything which is all fine. The problem is if I try to go west say 10 times the mapper VERY SLOWLY moves each room on the map and then shows the mud output. This is very problematic, especially when running from pk as I don't even move and can be tracked down easily. It seems to only happen in the forest area, but that may just be because the zone is so huge, not sure. I don't know what is causing this, but if there is any way to fix it I would like to know. If I have to run or something I have to turn off the mapper then do it, losing valuable seconds and possibly my life and gear.

Thanks for any help,
Posideon
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:45 pm   

I had had some Cmud induced movement slow-down I had been dealing with, but mine was based on slow-walking settings. It might be related, or not.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:53 pm   

None of the problems ReedN was having should happen in Fast walk mode. In fact, I can't actually think of anything that would cause this kind of slowdown in Fast mode. Fast mode doesn't wait for anything.

Maybe your map file needs to be compressed. Go to the http://www.zuggsoft.com/data page and download the MDAC Compact and Repair utility and run that on your map *.MDB file and see if that helps.
Posideon
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:26 pm   

The problem it seems is that fast mode doesn't wait for anything, I use an alias ww to do #10 w. instead of sending w 10 times it sends it one at a time as the mapper updates, then after the mapper moves it's 10 rooms I get my mud output. The mapper it seems is taking priority over the mud, and I want the mapper to follow me, not have me follow the mapper. I am going to try and use that utility though, and hopefully that will fix it up.

Thanks Zugg,
Posideon
Posideon
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:09 pm   

Still having the same problems, any other suggestions?

Edit:Speedwalking works fine, it's just when I'm walking around normally, I don't know why that is, but speedwalking works great. Just walking around normal and having the map follow me is very slow and causing huge delays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: