Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
nnyofthedisc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:53 pm   

Bloody ell I should not up upgraded

So, I figured m previous problem could be fixed if i downloaded the newest version of Cmud.
It did not.
And not I'm having problems that are really annoying me.

I have no clue what this is, or what to do about it, so heres a quick synaposis....

After the login screen, i get this:

Or, enter your current character's name

Your choice: <!EVENT tell from="{player}"><!EVENT say from="{player}"><!EVENT soul from="{player}"><!EVENT shout from="{player}"><!EVENT echo from="{player}"><!EVENT emote from="{player}"><!EVENT whisper from="{player}"><!EVENT emoteall from="{player}"><!EVENT combat from="{player}"><!EVENT channel from="{player}" channel="{channels}"><!EVENT talker from="{player}" channel="{talkerchannels}"><!EVENT group from="{player}" command="{groupcmds}"><!EVENT club from="{player}" club="{clubnames}"><!EVENT map><!EVENT score><!EVENT inform from="{player}" type="{informtype}"><!EVENT inventory><!define player "Details about the player" guild="{guilds}" guilddesc="The guild the player belongs to" clubs="clubs" clubsdesc="All the clubs the player belongs to" family="family" familydesc="The family the player is in" killer="yes|no" killerdesc="The player is a playerkiller" friend="yes|no" frienddesc="Member of the friends list on the mud">betta

everything from "Your choice:" to "betta", what is that? where did it come from... no i don't care about that, how do i get rid of it?

Then, in my talker, it's adding some extra lines too:

(One) Siilaan wisps: Not necessarily, emrys.
Squelch.
<event talker channel="one" from="ptlepshut">(One) Ptlepshut wisps: Private propaganda / state propaganda; where the private groups controlling the media are in a position of strength (as they always are except for local channels), same difference.
(One) Ptlepshut wisps: cf. Berlusconi.

Now this one is odd because it's not everyone's chats that get the added <event talker ect.

Looking at it, i'd almost think it's a problem on the Mud's end, but seeing as it started the second i installed V2.18, I'm sure it's CMud thats doing it.

I just want a client that does what i paid $60 for it to do without problems, without having to spend my day off posting on boards and waiting for responses.

I'd almost throw CMud away and use this FREE MUSH client that everyone else uses except for the fact that I paid good money for this.

Frustrated...
nnY
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:31 pm   

!EVENT isn't a part of the standard MXP specification - basically, the admins of your MUD (presumably Discworld) made it up without consulting anyone, so it's hard to expect clients to support such non-standard implementations, especially when they ignore the rules that MXP follows. You can read a bit about them here and see the original thread about this problem here.

Seems like you have two possible solutions - first, try turning off MXP debug mode in the preferences. If that doesn't help, try using an OnConnect event to describe the event tag to CMUD:

Code:
#event OnConnect {#mxp <!element Event MULTILINE>}

If neither of these works, slap your MUD admins upside the head for doing this ;P

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 pm   

Fang Xianfu wrote:

If neither of these works, slap your MUD admins upside the head for doing this ;P

Actually the MUD could use MXP to query the client if it supports their extensions using the SUPPORT tag.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:41 pm   

Yes, please complain to Discworld about this. They shouldn't be using their own MXP extensions (which are *not* part of MXP and don't even follow the proper MXP design methodology) without checking the MXP tag to determine if the client supports it. There are lots of way for them to detect what MXP tags a client supports, or what version of MXP the client uses, or even what the name of the client being used is. They apparently added these extensions for their own client, which I'm not even sure they are still actively developing.

So, the more of their players who complain to the admins about their bad MXP implementation, the better the chance that they will fix it to properly conform with the standard. I just don't have a lot of support for MUDs that want to add their own client/server extensions, and then call them "MXP Extensions" even though they have nothing to do with MXP and don't follow the public MXP protocol that they have full access to.

In any case, Fang has some good suggestions for workarounds. Also make sure the that option in your MXP Preferences called "Show unknown tags" is turned OFF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: