Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Bluebear
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:28 pm   

Database Question

Hi all,

I am attempting to use the database for the first time in CMUD, (I never used it in ZMUD either).

I am trying to record the number of individiual herbs in my pouches.

So I have created a database with two fields herbname and herbnumber. I have a script that clears the records, then another that captures the herb quantities in each pouch and adds them up.

The problem is that the record numbers for the herbs is changed all the time when I start a session.

I therefore need to be able to call a record using the herb name ie the value of the field called herbname. Looking through the helpfiles, it appears the only way to call a record is with is with is database generated number (which varies for each herb every day!)

Any thoughts please?

Thank you.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:11 pm   

Really, if your database would only have two entries, use a data record variable instead. The keys can be the herb names and the values can be the numbers of herbs. Much easier.

Herbs.someherb = 383
Herbs.someotherherb = 267
#add Herb.someherb -1

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Bluebear
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:35 pm   

Thanks for the help.

I have been using individual variables to store the herb numbers in up until now (about 60 different variables).

Will a data record variable happily store 60 entries?

Also, just out of interest, will the single large data variable use less computer resources than the 60 seperate ones? Thanks
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 pm   

Yes, and I'm not sure ;)

I'm currently using a data record variable with 72 entries. So 60 even should be no problem.
As for resources, I would GUESS Yes, but without seeing the code or tediously testing it I can't know for sure. But it SHOULD.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:11 pm   

What do you mean by "resources"? Accessing a data record variable is slower than accessing a normal variable, but not so's you'd notice. The hash table might mean it takes up slightly more memory, but on a scale of bytes so, again, it doesn't really matter.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: